How safe is internet banking???

Discussion in 'Software' started by zephra, Jul 25, 2005.

1. zephra

zephra Private First Class

How safe is internet banking???

2. HECK

HECK Corporal

ive heard of some problems in the earlier years of it, with hackers and all. but ims ure now days with the tech. and know-how of the viruses ect. they have it pretty muhc hands down. i mean most banks are now on the SSL (Secuirty Sockets Layer) technology i think. but yeah. should be ok. i do it through bank of america and im 99% sure they are on the SSL.

3. zephra

zephra Private First Class

I am wondering if they really cover a "hacked" account.They seem to put the security issue up to you i.e firewall, antivirus and router which is fine with me but just like the best lock if someone want's in they will get in.Is internet banking worth the risk?It sure would be easier.(yes they have ssl)(i have delt with them for normal banking for 10 years)
    thanks

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Wouldn't encourage it if you are dealing with several hundred thousand dollars, then you'd be a potential target :p:p:p

But other than that, I think you're safe as can be. Someone hacking into your online account is about as likely as you being at the bank when it gets robbed.

And mine is so close to empty that no one would want to break into it anyway.. :D

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

no problems here..

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

When my local news did a 'story' about how you can be ripped off with Inet banking.. I knew the story to follow was going to be funny. The most likely scenario is you give up your info.. via answering a phishing scam or running some malicious software that logs your banking info for some hackers.
    I'd figure if the bank was at fault for the loss the insurance they have should cover them.

Side note: My bank called me one day because someone was sequentially hacking bank card numbers and got mine but not the expiration date so they closed the card and sent me a new one.

So basically: 1) watch the phishing scams - email asking for bank data at fake websites
    2) watch what you run & allow pass the firewall

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds