How Set Search Results To Open In A New Tab In Firefox Google?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 20Valve, Jul 5, 2010.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Greetings Geeks.

It seems I cannot set Google to open search results in a new tab. There is only an option to set results as "Open Search Results in New Window." in the preferences page. I want clicked results to open in a new tab. What gives? I am using Firefox 3.6.6 under fully patched Vista.

Thanks for any help.

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Have you tried clicking using the mouse wheel(middle button click) on a link? I believe the Fx default when middle button clicking on a link, is to open the link in a new tab.

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

plastidust -Thanks! I had no idea that even existed, it worked perfectly. I wonder why they did not include an option in the preferences settings to do that with a normal click? That must have went away in the most recent version.

A "Thanks" is on the way . . . .

4. plastidust

You're quite welcome.

If you would like to have better control over the tab features, you might take a look at Tab Mix Plus. It adds a lot of easy access flexibility.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I hold down ctrl whenever I click on a link (search, forum, email) and always get a new tab.

6. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Interesting - thanks for the tip. I still wonder why on earth Google would remove the "open search" in a new tab? Options are very important to the end user. Although it seems I learned two new ways to do the same thing, my preference remains setting that particular browser behavior through the search options.

Thanks for the tip!

7. plastidust

Under the "Search settings" for Google is a "Results Window" option that will allow you to "Open search results in a new browser window." if it is check marked.
    In "Tab Mix Plus", there is an option to "Force to open in new tab:". Here you can select "Links to other sites". There is another option that will force a new window to be opened in a new tab.

There is probably a way to do these via "about:config" but I don't know what they are.

When I left click on a search result, the target is opened in a new "focused" tab.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds