How to add Computer Spec's to your existing Signature

Discussion in 'Software' started by m79vest36, May 18, 2011.

1. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

I am trying to add my computer spec's to my existing signature but they are not being saved? Can you advise?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Keep them short.;)

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

The maximum length of sigs has been shortened since when you joined. I think you have one line.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

mmm.... :-D

5. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thankyou! Am I correct to assume that the way we used to post our computer spec's as a standard signature is no longer thought to be of value?

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

heh, mostly bragging rights, I guess. I'll change mine when I get my 2x vertex 3 (240GB) installed.

7. LauraR

Yeah, well, that comes with that pesky moderator title I have.:-D

Basically, it's exactly as theefool said....bragging rights. You can fit some of it in there, but really, it's not going to be relevant unless you are looking for help...in which case, you can just state your specs in your post. To be honest, I don't know when it was changed, as it's been this way for the 4 years since I've been here. Old sigs were grandfathered in though, some of the older members still have the longer ones.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

How old is old for the older members? Pre 2004? Or, is it when you change it, you can't go back? Wow, been here for 7 years.

9. LauraR

Is that your original sig?

It must be more about characters allowed and not lines. If that is your original, and you try to change it, you wouldn't be able to keep it the same length.

Again, not sure when the change was made. It's been this way since I've been here. I believe it is because scrolling through long sigs in posts is a pain in the neck and really no one reads them for the most part anyway.

Edited to add: just for some reference, this was discussed here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123119&highlight=signature+length with MA's view on sigs.

Last edited: May 18, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds