How To Add Usb To Boot Order In Bios

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wakenaam, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Wakenaam

Wakenaam Private E-2

Friends: I am running a AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ dual core processor with Windows XP. I do not see any USB ports in the BIOS boot order sequence. How can I add these ports? Please don't refer me to PLOP because I had to spend 6 hours of hair pulling trying to uninstall it. After installing it does not even work. It took over my boot manager. Even a system restore did not remove it. Thanks for any help.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You will only see the USB devices when they are plugged in.

3. Wakenaam

Wakenaam Private E-2

The Knoppix USB stick was plugged in.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have one "newer" computer that I thought was unable to boot from USB. It turns out I wasn't using the boot menu properly.

1. First I have to press F12 to get into the boot menu.
    2. Next I have to select HDD (strange choice because I always figured this was the internal hard disk drive)
    3. My USB sticks are a choice in the HDD menu for some reason.

I suggest you try all the boot options presented in the boot menu. Perhaps your USB device is hiding somewhere that you never expect it to be.

By the way, this computer has an AMD cpu.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

This might be your problem.
    Either the motherboard or the BIOS doesn't support booting from a USB device.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

What is the model of the motherboard? What is the BIOS? Does it have secure boot?

BTW: You don't have to install PLOP, you can boot the ISO and select USB. Burn the plpbt.iso and boot it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds