How to change Hibernation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cssc, Sep 29, 2014.

1. cssc

cssc Guest

I've got Windows 8.1 Looked under 'system' in control panel. Can't find it. There isn't a "security" one. I guess that was windows 7. I googled this & it says 'sytem & security" but the 'system' option stands alone in Win8.1 so.....?
    Thanks.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have a look at this page. It says it's for "Dummies" but, I am in no way inferring that YOU'RE a dummy. :)

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Via powershell:

disable:
    powershell -Command "Start-Process 'powercfg.exe' -Verb runAs -ArgumentList '/h off'"

Check status:

powershell -Command "Get-ItemProperty HKLM:SYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPower -name HibernateEnabled; Pause"

May have to be elevated to do this:

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

5. cssc

cssc Guest

Hey thanks guys. i got it done. I think I set it to sleep never & the display to go off after an hour. That's just the monitor though, right? Anyway I didn't have any trouble getting it to come back on this time. It was freezing up on sleep.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I know the question has been answered already, but my previous post was incorrect.

From command prompt (elevated) a simple:

powercfg /h on ---- to turn on hybernation (I turned off mine previously) [this may take a while if it was turned off previously]

Doing this, created a file on my computer that was 34 GB in size. Located on the root of c:\ called hiberfil.sys

powercfg /h off ---- to turn it off (this removes that file and turns off (hybrid) hibernation).

IMHO, if one has an SSD, turning this off will help a lot and save space. Also, if you have a ton of ram like me, change your page file to something smaller.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds