how to change my pc to a non-network pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by mktrush, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mktrush

mktrush Private E-2

My pc used to be on a dialup network. now that i no longer have access to the network i am unable to change my password.

I tried to set up a new user code/password and was successful, however the new password will not allow the entry of data in worksheets, documents, or internet explorer address bars.

I think what I need to do is change the PC to a non-network pc but i do not know how. I am running XP Professional SP3.

Can anyone give any advice?

Thanks
    mktrush

2. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

By network do you mean your computer was once a member of a domain?

Right click My Computer -> 'Computer Name' tab -> press 'Change' button -> press the 'Workgroup' radio button and press ok.

If you cant change the member settings and asks you to log-in as administrator, log-off then do so. You should see a drop down list on the log-in dialog box where you can chose an administrator account.

If you can't and can only see familiar users, try to restart and boot on Safe-mode.

I believe you should now see and administrator account on the log-in dialog box.

3. mktrush

mktrush Private E-2

You are correct. It was once a member of a domain.

I had to go to the control panel and open System to see the Computer Name.

I pressed the 'Change' button, pressed the 'Workgroup' radio button, and pressed ok. This successfully removed my computer from the Domain and associated it with a workgroup. My old user/password would no longer work.

Using Administrator I created a new user with the same name as my old user and assigned the new user to the Administrator group. I logged on with the new user/password and made two major observations.

1. All my internet links, email, and files belonging to my Domain user are gone.
    (I should have known this).
    2. I cannot enter data into word, excel, or internet explorer. I press the keys but nothing appears on the screen. I do not understand why.

I then performed a Restore to a point in time prior to removing my computer from the Domain. I am now functioning as I was before the change.

As for item (1.) above I think I can export email, links, and files for later import to the workgroup user. I am totally puzzled by the item (2.). Why can't I enter data into any program while logged in as the new user? I could enter data into these programs while logged in as Administrator.

Mktrush

4. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

I'm not really sure but I think but I think you can't enter data for your excel/word files because it suffers from the NTFS file security system. Sometimes the file system blocks other users from editing a certain user's files.

Whats only bothering is why you can't use internet explorer properly. ?.? Any users should be able to use it. Administrator or not...

Does your new user has administrative privileges? Try giving it the privileges and see if you can edit the data.

If you don't want to give your new user administrative privileges, you could share your files to local users. Just drag them to the shared documents folder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds