How to change the text color of an icon?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Computer Acolyte, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Computer Acolyte

Computer Acolyte Private First Class

I'm customizing my band related folders with theme backgrounds.. The problem is that some of the theme pics are black, so when set as a background you can't read the icon text because it's black too... I was wondering if there's some tweak, or a program that can change the color of the icon's text, locally.. Meaning I want the changes to take place only in a certain folder or only on a certain icon.

Thanks..

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

What's your OS, Acolyte? In XP, the defaults should kick in and make the desktop icon text white against a dark bg, and black against a light one. There isn't even a color choice for icon text in the Advanced settings of Display Props.

Oh, and Welcome to Major Geeks!

3. Computer Acolyte

Damn can't believe I forgot to mention the OS... Win 98 SE
    Yes that does happen, but not in a folder... I'm not changing the desktop I'm changing the folders and the options there seem to be more primitive.. Plus the display settings would make global changes, I want the changes to be only in the folders with black background..

4. Computer Acolyte

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      File size:
      94.9 KB
      Views:
  5. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

6. Computer Acolyte

Hmm.. Browsing that site I came up with http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/wv_main.html
    You can apply an image inside your windows; just choose 'view' in the toolbar, and 'customize this folder'. It gives the folder the attribute 'system' and a hidden file, 'desktop.ini' is created in it. In notepad you'll see a line like "IconArea_Image=C:\xx\xx.xxx" specifying the path to your .bmp, .gif or .jpg. IconArea_Text=0x00RRGGBB is textcolor (see below).
    Does anyone knows how the color coding works?

7. Computer Acolyte

Haha, lo and behold...

From the folder's "desktop.ini" file:
    [{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
    Attributes=1
    IconArea_Text=0x000066FF
    IconArea_Image=C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Tabs\Dream Theater\Images And Words\IAW.bmp

0x00 + one of these http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/color_codes/
    without #

Attached Files:

• xx.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
  8. acejones

acejones A Different Title

pretty cool...

powertabs rule!

9. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Maybe found an answer you can use (Guess one shouldn't trust everything one read)

I can do the following in Win2k:
    1. Right click folder and choose Customize Folder
    2. Select "Modify background picture and filename appearence"
    3. Let background picture be the one you want.
    4. Now change "Filename Appearence" by setting "Text"-color and "background"-color

My desktop.ini now contains the following lines:

10. Computer Acolyte

Ok I really should stop doing things manually all the time, or at least pay attention.. I never noticed the customize folder option and I can change the text from there on 98SE too...

oh well...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds