how to check...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by infoseeker, Sep 26, 2006.

1. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

if your pc is running 32bit or 64bit performance?

(i really dont know this thing)

thanks in advance

2. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

I personally do not know, I have an EM64 P4, I can run 64-Bit applications/OS in an Emulation type of manner I 'Think', well that's the way I took it when I read up on it somewhere a few weeks back, possibly I could be wrong.

But your Control Panel > System > Window should tell you whether your in 32-Bit or 64-Bit mode?

I am not familiar on the differences, I haven't actually had the opportunity to fiddle with it because I cannot afford to get my hands on XP 64-Bit.

Let me know how you go with it, can I ask your system specifications and your thoughts on the performance differences of the higher version compared to the 32-Bit version.

Dave

3. infoseeker

me too

this thing really weird to me

it di not help, its only the properties of My PC comes out

Here in my work im using:
    P4 XP PRo SP2 (same in my house)
    2.4 gig (1.6gig in my house)

thats all i know

thats all i can share

i ask this coz of some program i want to install in my pc in the house tells:
    (7zip for example)
    download here for 32bit
    download here for 64bit

Any one knows regarding my quetion?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Hi Halo,

EM64T, My CPU has that, does this mean I can run Windows XP 64-Bit, or Vista 64-Bit?

If so, is it possible to patch my 32-Bit version to 64-Bits? without having to purchase the OS completely?

Dave

6. infoseeker

yes i will ask also same question........

thanks for this HALO, i will try this when i get home this evening

ill let you know tomorrow

thanks again

7. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Here is the lowdown...
    64-bit… Sounds magical doesn't it? Full of the promise of faster and more powerful computing. After all, 64 is two times 32, so there has got to be a performance increase right?

Well, yes and no. When we refer to 32-bit or 64-bit processors, what we are talking about is primarily the size of the registers, tiny, high-speed memory areas built right into the chip itself, closer even than the level 1 cache memory. You can think of them as the hands of the processor, in that they hold values to be operated on or combined.

As a vastly simplified example, say you want to add two integers together such as 2 + 3. Both values must be stored in separate registers until the adding operation can be performed, at which point the resulting value of 5 is deposited in a third register for transfer out. Any data to be processed must at some point end up in a register, therefore the number and size of the registers helps to determine the overall performance of the processor.

Ok, so 64-bit processors have 64-bit registers instead of 32, so they are faster, yes? Hmm, there is a catch though. When performing mathematical operations with integers (whole numbers), having a 64-bit register only helps performance if the integers being worked on are numbers larger than 32 bits, which is rather unlikely in current software. If you are adding 2 + 3 or 4,987,606 + 5,000,065 you are still going to need one register for each value and one for the answer, and the system doesn't care whether they are 32-bit or 64-bit registers, because you can only store one value in them at any given time.

When operating on floating point (decimal) numbers, a 64-bit register would seem to give added precision, as it can hold more numbers after the decimal place, but the x86 architecture, on which all current 32-bit Intel and AMD CPUs are based already provides for 64-bit floating point registers (actually 80 bits internally) so no advantage is gained there either. So what's the point? Well, there is one, and it's a good one. Memory.

Its all about hardware, not software......so therefore patching is not an option

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  8. infoseeker

Thanks for that info, i really get it with your explanation

Yes yes yes........... i just received 2nd hand 512 ram for my PC (bought it online)

9. candle_86

candle_86 Private E-2

I use XP Pro X64, if your 64bit ready and you have drivers for all your devices and you know for sure your games work, make the switch.

Things that do not work
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theroy
    Logitech Webcams (older than 2003)

Issues
    NFS MW
    Halo PC

Anyone else have anything to add here, this is just what I know

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds