How to Choose a New Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pklocke, Sep 15, 2005.

1. pklocke

pklocke Private E-2

I have a Compaq Presario that I game with a lot. I would like to upgrade the Graphics card. I currently run a Radeon 9250 (PCI/256 DDR), and my 3DMark03 test runs about 1083 (ugh). I do have an AGP slot from the original card that came with the PC, open.

I have seen the same games I play run on friend's PCs that have, for example, an ATI Radeon 9700Pro, and the difference is amazing. I want that!

But, a I have looked at reviews, etc, surfed Newegg, and such, I find that when folks talk about high performance, they are also quotes in those threads about the cards generating so much heat as to burn components up, etc.

So, I am in a quandary...don't want to perform a PC meltdown, but do want to get better graphics performance. A couple questions:

1) Any general recommendation on cards that can be installed in an OEM computer, and perform well with games like Delta Force, Tribes, UT2004? (been thinking of an ati 9800pro).

2) Would it be mandatory to add an additional fan of some sort to cool the new card (over and above what comes on the card for heatsink/cooling/fan)?

3) Are their ways to install some sort of temperature monitoring capability easily, if my case does not have one (from the factory)? Suggestions?

Not sure I shouldn't just embark on the challenge of building my own PC, but I fear I would buy wrong components, etc, and spend more than just going out an buying something like an Alienware....

Any help, guidance would be appreciated!

System Info:
    Compaq presario 6370US, 2.53Ghz P4
    1Gb Ram
    120Gb HDD
    Sapphire Radeon 9250 256Mb DDR

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

With a video card you have to look at 2 things - your budget and the performance.

A 9800pro will give you great performance, as will the nVidia equivalent, a Geforce 6600, think it's a GT not sure...
    Most of the "higher spec" cards now come with cooling fans built on to keep the card cool, but you can also install case blowers which you can put underneath to extract air and help the airflow.
    Standard case fans also help keeping the system cool, but you want a reasonable amount of fans blowing air in and blowing air out.

Temperature monitors can easily be bought, ranging from simple kits which enable you to put a sensor almost anywhere and read the temperature on a small display, all the way up to 5.5" bay controllers which can do many things!

Hope this helps :D

3. pklocke

pklocke Private E-2

Thank you for replying. I noticed at circuit city today a small fan that installs in an available slot I can insert under the card. I will give that a try, as well.

I was also cruising through the various vid cards in the store and noticed an ATI Radeon X700 Pro and X850 Pro. Any idea how those would rate against the 9800. The cards both were AGP, 256Mb GDDR3.

Thanks, again, for your kind reply.

Pat

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Depending on how much you can get one for, I think you would be better served and get better value with a GeForce 6600 GT.

You won't really see any benefit between a 256 MB or a 128 MB card, and you shouldn't have to worry about additional cooling.

5. KAOSInc

KAOSInc Private E-2

Here's a nice site for you to explore with Benchmarking and Graphs which are easier on the eyes than just plain numbers VGA Roundup

6. KAOSInc

KAOSInc Private E-2

7. luckieblackkat

luckieblackkat Private E-2

The nVidia 6600 GT is the equivalent to an ati x700

The x series ati is the highest performance cards.
    The Geforce 6 series is the same to the x series. (except i think the lower 6 series)
    Also a lot of the x series you see are pci express whereas the nvida 6 series you might find aren't pci express, depends on where you go.

But the nvidia 7800 gt is the highest performance card you can get.

(ok please don't bash me if some of this info is iffy)

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Actually, it's the 7800 GTX. The 7800 GT is the next chip down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds