how to clean up temp/common files

Discussion in 'Software' started by shiloh, May 28, 2004.

1. shiloh

shiloh Private E-2

I noticed while doing a virus scan on my computer that there are files in my temp interenet files and common files that I thought I had previously deleted. Is it normal for these files to remain on my computer after deleting them or is there a way I can erase them and clear up some more space? Thanks for your help. Shiloh.

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

You can always limit the amount of space TIFs use:
    Internet Options > General tab > Temporary Internet Files > Settings > move the disk space slider

Or dump them whenever you exit your browser:
    Internet Options > Advanced > Security > Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed

3. billH

billH Master Sergeant

What Mastertech and Alan said. Plus there's another small app here om MG called EmpTemp that works pretty well too. It also let's you automate the process if you want to.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

shiloh, use Cleanup! http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=990
    as well as CrapCleaner and EmpTemp. That way you will lasso most of the detritus that gathers as a result of any session on the net. The 3 programs complement each other and do not clash with each other. All are free and should be amongst your " Essentials" and part of your regular housekeeping routine, daily weekly, or whatever you feel comfortable with. Bazza

=======

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds