How to clear My Recent Documents

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbolin06, Jun 4, 2006.

1. bbolin06

bbolin06 Private First Class

How can I clear My Recent Documents list on windows xp (Dell Laptop)
    Thank you for your help inadvance......bbolin

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Welcome to Major Geeks bbolin 06 your "Recent Documents" file if I am not mistaken is self clearing after reboot if you are using MS Works as it is ONLY a temp file. Could be wrong, but a simple reboot will tell you. The "Recent Document" folder will be there but will be empty in my recollection.:)

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Really? Mine doesn't clear on reboot. I run CrapCleaner to clear mine, amongst other junk I want shifted.

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Huh just went back to check mine Lev and it is empty go figure.

I rarely use Start, as I have a Document Folder shortcut on my desktop, and I agree with you on CCleaner great find here on MG http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Standard_With_Yahoo_Toolbar_d5125.html or you can get the Slim version here as well with out the Yahoo Toolbar http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html as per others advise if you use the full version do not check the Yahoo Toolbar option.

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Mine appears empty if I go through the C:\Documents & Settings\Administrator\My Recent Documents but if I go Start>My Recent Documents it shows all my files up to about 12.

Because bboblin said he wanted to clear the list, not the folder, I assumed it was the latter he was referring too. Doesn't seem that this clears like the folder. Crap Cleaner will do it though...good links BCGray :D

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Right click on START, go to PROPERTIES.
    Click START MENU tab
    Click CUSTOMIZE button
    Click ADVANCED tab
    Click CLEAR LIST button

-Jim

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

That clears the list of PROGRAMS that appear in the START menu. That's not what bboblin wants to do. He wants to clear his RECENT DOCUMENTS list.

8. 3GHz AMD Athlon

3GHz AMD Athlon Private E-2

right click the pron ones you want to be gone and hit delete

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Sorry, Lev, but if you follow the instructions exactly, it DOES clear the RECENT DOCUMENTS list. I've just done it now, again, to verify it. Bazza

===

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I stand corrected, thanks Bazza.

I didn't actually click as I didn't want to delete mine, but the way the description reads of what the button does, is that it deletes program shortcuts in the start menu.

Misleading huh? (or maybe it's just me)

11. bigbazza

It's just you, Lev.;) :) :cool: :D
    It does work, exactly as specified, wiping out Recent Documents only. Bazza

==

12. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK..so I missed the ADVANCED TAB click...the previous page IS for the START menu list :p

13. bigbazza

I figured that.:D :confused: :) :cool: ;) Bazza

===

14. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Just found this that might help docshist.vbs - Enable/Disable Recent Documents History in Windows
    © Doug Knox - rev 12/10/99

Usage: Download docshist.vbs and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file. A confirmation dialog will appear and remind you to log off/back on or restart your computer. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated.

at this link http://www.dougknox.com/

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have to agree use CCleaner a must for the novice to the most advanced.

16. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I completly agree that ccleaner is the way to go!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds