How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

K, another question, sorry, lol. I really do appreciate everyones help very much!
    :-o

Can I use these directions from XP, in Windows 7 as well?...

How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area:

1. Click on "Start".
    2. Click on "Run".
    3. Type; regedit.
    4. Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
    5. Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process.
    6. In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.

Thank you.
    :)

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

I very much doubt those keys will be the same, Win7 is a differen ballgame.

I believe Ccleaner has an option for clearing that in the "advanced options".

Q

3. Oscuro

Oscuro Private E-2

Hello once again Oooops!

From what I am understanding, you want to find out how to clear history tracks of "Past Items" in the "Notifcation Area"

On the bottom of your desktop should be your taskbar. Right click your taskbar and click "Properties". From there, go to "Start Menu". In that section, look in the mini-section called "Privacy". There, you can choose to UNCHECK either one so that Windows 7 does not show recently opened programs, items or both.

Hope that helps. If not, then I misunderstood your question.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Close on being the same as XP but a slightly different registry location in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

but the other steps are the same.

I did try a free small app (TrayCleaner) out to do this but doesnt work right in Windows 7 as yet, even when running it as Admin (elevated option over just admin account)

Sadly not Q, but I wish it was an option.

Thats just the list of reciently used apps, the area for Notifications is what you see in the list when you right click Start and choose Properties > Taskbar tab, under Notifications Area click Customize then you see a list and at times old apps icons stay in this list.

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Is this what you mean?

"Tray Notifications Cache"
    [​IMG]

Q

6. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

~Q~ and Oscuro, I should've gave more detailed information on what I was trying to refer to, my apologies. But I did end up learning more about available options with your ideas!

Halo you figured me out! This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thank you! I will try this. I like to keep things clutter free.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds