How to completely remove Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gaia2, Jul 25, 2007.

1. gaia2

gaia2 Private E-2

Does anyone know how to completely remove IE?
    I have IE 6 SP1 (Service Pack 1) but when I go to add/remove programs, I'm only given the option to revert to the previous version.
    I haven't used it for several years (thanks Firefox!) and I'd like to completely get rid of it and get back a bit of free space. I have windows me.
    Any idea? Thank you much.

2. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Since Windows Me is no longer supported by Microsoft, I wouldn't worry about missing any updates. Unless of course, you reformat.

This claims it will remove it, but you'll likely suffer some minor problems with the OS due to the tight integration of all the Windows components..

http://www.majorgeeks.com/IEradicator_d511.html

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I have deleted it's folder from program files in safe mode on xp home machine without problems, but remnants remained. Folder comes back on reboot normal, but is empty.
    Try uninstall in Add or Remove programs Windows first. as Kes mentioned. Then boot into safe mode (F8) and delete its file folder. Reboot.

Bug

XP Home, XP Pro, Win 98, PCLinuxOS, openSUSE 10.2

4. gaia2

gaia2 Private E-2

Thank you very much for all responses, and my apologies for not writing back sooner. I've now got 2 major problems.
    First, here is what I did:
    I went in safe mode to remove/add programs/Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools/remove (choosing to also delete French Menus and Dialogs for Internet Explorer 6/Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669/Microsoft Outlook Express 6/Microsoft VGX Q833989/Shockwave and revert to the previous version)
    I got a message telling me "setup failed to uninstall properly". I figured I would at least remove Outlook express 6.

1. Now, after rebooting and going into Control Panel (where the Add/remove programs is), all I get is a blank screen. At the bottom, it tells me there are 37 objects, but I can't see them. It's like they are invisible. Any idea where the control panel items are hiding?

2. When I go into window explorer, I can't open any of the MyPictures folder. I had the pictures set up to open with Irfanview (great program!), but now I can't even open the folders.
    All files created with Nvu that were previously set up to open with Firefox showed the IE logo, so I went into open with/choose program/Firefox and marked "open all files like this with Firefox", and it all works fine, but I can't do that with the picture files since I can't even open the folders.
    I just noticed that all MyPictures folders show a little window turning at the top right hand-corner, so I imagine they are set to open with IE, but I can't figure out how to change it.

I have rebooted twice and even turned off the computer for a while. No change.
    Any help is appreciated. Thank you much.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You can not fully remove IE. Microsoft has it set-up so that you can remove user access to it, while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to ensure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it.
    If you go to Add or Remove Programs in your Control Panel, then click Windows componets you should see a check mark next to IE. UnCheck it and click next. You should get a step by step walk through to stop access to it.
    Edit: The best and easiest way to fix your Control Panel prob is to do a "Windows Refresh" using your installation disc. Meaning you install WIndows without reformatting the drive and it should restore all your settings without losing your files. It will ask you if you want to save your system files click "yes"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds