How to connect surround sound speakers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lloyd1337, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Lloyd1337

Lloyd1337 Private E-2

Recently bought some nice surround sound speakers for my computer, but I can't figure out how to properly connect them.

My motherboard is Asus A8N-E, and I am using the onboard audio with it.

My speakers have three jacks: front, rear, and center. My PC has 6 places to plug things in: Microphone, Line In, Output, and 3 others that are all black.

How do I connect my speakers to my motherboard so that I get proper surround sound, and how to I configure Windows to recognize them and output to all speakers?

I am using the Windows Vista beta, which might be a problem. I also want to know how to get this working in Windows XP as well.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have the same board and I don't see 3 black connectors, see attachment. Do you have a powered set like a sub-woofer and the speakers plug into that? If they are not then your onboard audio will not work or work at a very low level. You would then need to buy an amplifier.

EDIT: misread your post
    Front= Lime
    Rear =Gray
    Center=Yellow

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  3. Lloyd1337

Lloyd1337 Private E-2

Thanks. That worked perfectly. Sorry, I thought they were all black(not very much light behind my case), but that diagram is right.

I must say... wow. It's like... I was blind but now I can see. Just watched a bunch of HD game trailers with surround sound. Completely different experience. I'm going to go try out some of my games again, now that I've got this working.

=D

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehe, I know what you mean. The neighbours know when I'm home!:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds