How to convert documents fron Microsoft to Open Office

Discussion in 'Software' started by runfromabear, May 16, 2011.

1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

My trial version of Microsoft 2010 recently expired and now all my Microsoft documents are locked.... I can view them but not edit them unless I purchase the Microsoft program. Can someone tell me how to convert these files into Open Office documents so I can edit and use them without losing them? Thanks!

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

This really should be posted in the Software forum, as it doesn't really have anything to do with programming.

Having said that, I believe Open Office can open Microsoft files directly. No conversion required. Just open them and save them in the open document format.

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

EDIT: I don't know if OpenOffice can open MS Office 2010 files. If that is the case, then, you'll need to convert them to the 2007 format and the only way I know of doing that is to open them in MS Office 2010 and save them in the 2007 format. (or download the compatibility pack and open them in Office 2007, then save them)

4. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

Thanks for all the advice. Like you said it started opening all the documents once I saved them a certain way and deleted the micrsoft word trial version from my computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds