how to cool a 7800 gtx

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IcEy-CoLd, Nov 3, 2005.

1. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

in 2 days my 7800gtx will be here, and when i slap it in my "asus Prem Mobo" i would like to keep it cool, what's out there for a price.. umm around 50$ or less

I need this card to keep me runnin perfect, till next year when driect10 comes out and i buy anouther 7800gtx =)... i have no clue wut the hell mircosoft is doing messin with everyone's Pc's no more open GL.. wow i would actully be sad ..

my freind got this plastic lookin fan that cool's his agp 6800gt.. its blue and looks really cheap.. but it does cool his card pretty well... would that be eought? or is there sumthing i can add to the card

"keep in mind this will be SLI rig next year, so i can't have huge 7800gtx's"

AMD 64 3000+
    2.00 GB RAM kingston
    Nvidia Deforce 6800 Series GPU
    A8N-SLI Premium

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

You can get bigger heatsinks for them that help spread the heat and keep it cooler, I'm looking into one of them as my gpu runs at over 40c and the rest of my system is below 30c when idle - yeh I like it cool :D

3. mPK

mPK Private First Class

i use the standard or factory cooling and it runs fine (or so i believe)...

4. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

5. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

is there anything at all i can do to the actully card to keep it cool, the fan it comes with looks cheap... i paid the money for wut it can do, i got the asus prem mobo so i got the pci16 slot with the 7800, a lil under it is the pcix4 slot for SLI then 3 pci slots...

so i wanna try not to use up a slot with a cooler, but if it really came down to it, how could i cool 2 of these things? " i do plan to use up all pci slots, "but later on"

i just would much rather have a new way to cool it b4 i even test it,

so that artic.. seems ok takes up a slot.. so when sli came it would move, and i guess cool 1 then i got the top one just gettin Hot?... i have a full sever tower, so i am up for idea's

"would buyin all new fans for my case help?"

6. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

I hear of people using 2 NV5's for their 7800GTX's running in SLI with no problems on the A8N-Premium. If you just wanted to buy fans... 1-2 intake infront, 1-2 exhaust in back, and 1 exhaust on top doesnt hurt...

Of course, if you wanted too you could buy a watercooling kit.... Like the Zalman Reserator 1 or 2..... Which is pretty much the best watercooler for around $200....

7. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

2 nv5 meaning stock coolin?

now, seems the
    VGA LEADTEK WinFast PX7800GTX OC - Retail /Had come off of newegg
    witch makes me think... wtf... doesn't even say not in stock
    it's just pulled off the site.. witch i guess is a really.
    good thing for me for the next year

so i can't post a pic of the card i am gettin anymore,
    just makes me think how i can cool one 7800 in a way that could
    cool 2 7800, with a minor move... i kinda like the artic cooler,
    but i don't understand how to put it on.

Now, about the case, i have 4 "120" fans that came on my case,
    1. Down infrount of case " looks like intake"
    2. 2 IN back of PC ontop of video card pushin air out
    1. on the window on the left side of case. ontop of videocard
    blowin air inside case..

so the 2 in the back kinda make 2 much noise... so i would wanna buy 2 new fans at least

don't know how eles to explain wut i want.. maybe its not out yet
    i just wanna cool the card without usen a pci slot, or cool 2 cards in sli

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds