How to copy files from My Documents on old drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by goodtexan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. goodtexan

goodtexan Private E-2

I built a new computer with a 500 GB SATA drive. I installed windows xp and all the updates. I took a hard drive from my old PC (80 GB) and installed it in the new one so I could copy files from it.

However, it won't let me into the My Documents folder on the old drive. It is in the admin account. I can get to the documents folder of the other account but not the main admin account. I get "Accessed Denied"

I tried to get to it from the DOS prompt and got the same thing. Do I have to rebuild my old computer in order to get to it? I had a password on my that admin account.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

you need have your user name and password the same in order to access the documents. or you can try to set the security to allow everyone access to the folders in question. one or the other should work

4. goodtexan

goodtexan Private E-2

The instructions at the link worked great. :)

I'll tell you about my new build soon. Basically it is an Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition on a Gigabyte motherboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds