How to delete unwanted programs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigfurrykid, May 4, 2010.

1. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

I've inherited a used computer from work and would like to get rid of a few programs without having to wipe the hard drive.

The comp is running XP and I don't have a reinstall disc. I would like to get rid of Mitchell On Demand, that was used in our automotive service department.

When I try to delete it, it prompts me to contact their customer service department. Is there any other programs out there that will let me delete this without having to go through that company?

2. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I might ask the guys at work about uninstalling company related software. It is where it was gotten from and they should have an idea what is going on for you, reasons for the message and how to work past it.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could try Revo Uninstaller, (also try Revo from Safe Mode, in case the Mitchell app is running thus preventing a good uninstall) may work but knowing some of these apps for the motor industry, they need you to enter a code to uninstall, some sort of check on how many licences are being used etc

Anyone in your workplace uninstalled the app before, maybe they can help, may actually have the instructions.

4. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

if it's still running in the background isn't it possible to stop all processes involved with the application? task manager? or process explorer? take a screen print of task manager/process explorer and then run down the processes not known?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Break Da

Indeed yes it is possible and great idea to try, which is where I mentioned safe mode as it should not load up any startups, but the finding of running processes in normal mode would/should work also.

one thing in case its chosen as an option is to NOT disable any startups using msconfig as if one of the startups is from Mitchell then when uninstalled, you would be left with an orphaned entry, not impossible to remove but a pain.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds