how to disable acpi during os insall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mindset, Jun 1, 2004.

1. mindset

mindset Private E-2

trying to install xp pro. i have a iwill ka266 ver 1.3 mobo with a amd athlon, i just replaced the hard drive with a western dig. 160 gb with 2 mb cache and i keep getting: file\1386\halacpi.dll could not be loaded. the error code is 32768. .

iwill tech support emaild me this:
    The motherboard will not handle the 160gb drive. The max size is 137gb. Also the motherboard isnt ACPI supported by XP. You will need to disable the ACPI during the installation of the OS.
    i used to have xp on this same computr when i bought it and worked fine untill i had some memory issues and all i could afford at the time was a stick of 128 mb of ram and so i had win 98 installed. but now its time to upgrade i have new mem and a new harddrive and xp pro
    but i cant get past the acpi deal

so my question is how to disable acpi?
    and will my 160 gb harddrive work even if the max size is only 137gb?
    thanks

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

when you install it will ask you in part of the installation for 3rd party drivers. At this point hit F7 on your keyboard. Now, I normally hit it a few times until the copy process continues because it doesn't cause any noticable change in what you're doing.Infact, you don't see anything when you hit F7. So it's hard to tell at what point exactly to hit it. That is why I tap it a few times at that point..just to make sure.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've always hit F5 and specified it, so I don't miss it :D

*Ducks*

Your drive will work fine at the smaller size.

While I am not a fan of them, does the hard drive manufacturer offer a drive overlay compatible with XP?

This would allow you access to your full drive size.

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds