How To Disable Volume Control/ Adjustment Knob On Dell Multimedia Keyboard XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John18142, Dec 30, 2010.

1. John18142

John18142 Private E-2

Hi there, I have a PS/2 Dell Multimedia Keyboard which has a bunch of audio controls in the top left corner (mute, stop, pause, open media player, and the volume control knob). I'm running Windows XP Home and I'm trying to find out how to disable these keys, the knob especially. The reason being is that often times the people who use my computer turn the volume down by the knob instead of at the speaker, and before you know it the volume is cranked up all the way on the speaker itself, which can't be very good for it. Aside from just taking the plastic knob off permanently, is there any other way to do this? The keyboard is plug and play so theres really no software that came with it. Thank you very much for your help.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I can't find any way to disable it; however here are a few alternate ideas:

* Password protect your Windows login and screen saver so other people can't mess with your PC.

* Put a label on the keyboard to the effect of "Do not f:*** with the volume controls!"

* Buy an inexpensive keyboard that has only the basics - no media or volume controls.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

There's an outside chance that Microsoft's Tweak UI Power Toy might contain something useful - it's been a while since I've used it, but seems like I remember it having some volume/hotkey customizations.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

If you have some tinkering hands, you can simply remove the keys you don't want to work, and damage, block, or glue the connectors under them, and then put the keys back on. With the knob you could use a little bit of Krazy Glue, Super Glue, etc. where it rotates inside (just be careful not to get it where you don't want it, use a toothpick or the likes to put it exactly where you want it). Or, you could search for the right size clear (or not clear) plastic "cover" to fit over that group of keys, and glue it onto the keyboard.

Short of that, I think gman's right, you can't disable it using any software or registry hacks... although, I'm sure if you REALLY wanted to take some risks you could find the hardware controls for those particular keys in your registry... I wouldn't recommend that, though!

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If looks aren't an issue, a piece of duct tape placed over the knob might work as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds