How to display folder 'tree' in XP toolbar ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Nov 15, 2007.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Is it possible to create a 'toolbar' in XP that displays an entire folder 'tree' ???

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Is it possible to create a 'toolbar' in XP that displays an entire folder 'tree'? akm <<

Not sure if this is exactly what you want; but I use the freeware application called 2xExplorer as an alternative to Windows Explorer; in order to display folder trees.

2xExplorer, as the name suggests, allows users to view 2 panels side by side - in a Windows Explorer fashion - in effect displaying the "folder tree" that I believe you're looking for.

The 2xExplorer has a very flexible pane layout so the pane views are highly customizable. Users can opt for single or double pane view, and position the tree, thumbnail as well as all of the toolbars which allow you to pick and choose your favorite pane view.

To view the various 2xExplorer program screenshots click here

Side Note: I'd like offer a very special "thank you" to Major Geek’s member bigbazza for recommending this program back in 2005. I've used 2xExplorer regularly ever since; as an alternative to the Windows Explorer. ;)

Good Luck

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I'm also not quite sure exactly what you want to do. But, you could put a shortcut to a particular Windows Explorer window in your QuickLaunch toolbar. Would that serve your purpose?

4. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the response.
    Sorry about the confusion, its a little difficult to describe, but when creating a toolbar that can be placed on the desktop (auto-hide if want) it can be referenced to a folder and then all the files in the folder (small or large icons) show on the toolbar.
    If the reference is to a folder with other folders in it (a folder tree, no files), only the 1st level of folders show at the toolbar.
    Was just wondering if it is possible to display the entire (expanded) folder tree in the toolbar so the it may serve as a ready (auto hide) reference (to the various folders in the tree) at the desktop instead of always needing to 'bring it up' in the explorer-bar at the Explorer window.
    Hope that description helps.
    Thanks again.
    akm
    Ps: Am fairly happy with Explorer, so not eager to add another program replacement (have already got too many to manage :) , but did have a related question at... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139960
    and thought had the answer but still cant seem to get a 'default' Explorer window display to always show folders at the 'explorer bar' etc.
    If you have an answer for that one that would also be great !

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

6. akm

akm Sergeant

Steve, thanks for the reply.
    Yes, there is a nifty video of how to create the toobar, but as they show, the toolbar view only shows the 1st level of folders (and the files if any) in the folder used for the toobar.
    We are looking for a way to show the entire folder tree under the particular folder selected for the toobar (without any files, like the expanded folder view of the 'Explorer Bar' with 'Folders' in the 'Window Explorer' window).
    Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks again.
    akm

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. I can't mess around with it (work), but I watched the little video. See if you can't "set" the folder(s) view like you want it, under options or view........something like that. Just guessing.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds