How to edit XP registry for other user profiles?

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Sep 4, 2005.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Am trying to add blocked sites at all user profiles on my computer from the registry instead of IE and without having to login separately for each profile.

ie edit...
    [...Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History\adware.etc]
    ...for each user profile.

It seems like the computer admin should be able to edit registry settings for all users, but I cant find the other users settings in the registry when Im on the computer under my admin login.
    Is there anyway to do what Im trying to do?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

HKCU are for settings that affect per user, for the most part.

HKLM affects them globally. So look for that key under hkey_local_machine.

3. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the reply.
    Am not able to find the other user settings under those headings.
    Currently the only way I can do it is to switch users and go the the other user/s regedit menu to add the new exported keys from a shared folder to the HKCU heading from the current user login.
    It works, but not quite as seamless as it might be if I could do it all from the one regedit (registry) file that I get from my admin login.
    Guess Im not understanding what file the registry pulls other user data from and why its not possible to get that data included in the admin registry.
    Other ideas?
    akm

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not really. Basically, from what you have told me, the program maker never made it so that you could set global preferences.

5. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

This help
    In Windows 2000 and XP, there is a string in the registry from which all new user settings are taken. The reason for the existance of this string is to keep a healthy version of the registry around for new users.

This default version is found at HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT.

This string can be used for:

* A reference point for all you registry hackers out there.
    * A key to hit if you're an admin and want to change an entry for all the subsequent new users on a machine.
    * A restoration reference -- to compare your corrupted entries to.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nice catch. I had totally forgetten about that.

7. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Took awhile to find,I knew I had it somewhere in my files.something like this is not asked too often. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds