How to eliminate Network setup and return to a standalone computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by hutchfred, May 19, 2006.

1. hutchfred

hutchfred Private First Class

This computer I inherited was originally a stand alone computer. Somewhere along the line it has taken on the characteristics of being a part of a network. The machine has a LAN hookup in the Network and Dial-up Connections window. This whole network thing is confusing and is causing me several problems.

Is there any way to undo all the network and LAN settings?

2. hutchfred

As an example: I have tried disabling the LAN connection, but when I do, in the Event Viewer I get an error that states the source as IPANTHLP with an event code of 31012.

This is just one example of some of the problems I've been having with this Network setup.

Please can anyone help?:confused:

3. hutchfred

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

5. hutchfred

I guess what I'm trying to do is to eliminate the LAN hookup settings because I am not on any network and I just want a stand-alone computer.

I noticed that the ultimate solution in the thread that FRED_G gave was to uninstall Sygate Personal Firewall and install Zone Alarm.

I don't want to do that.

6. hutchfred

7. hutchfred

I have a 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller that was installed when I received this computer. It was set up on a LAN system.
    I would like to eliminate the LAN setup. What is the consequences of uninstalling the Ethernet Controller? How do I eliminate the LAN setup so I can just use my dial up hookup to my modem?

Can anyone help?:confused:

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Double click on network places ...click on make new connection ...then choose dial up...and configure your dialup isp.:)

9. hutchfred

I've already done that.

However, I did find the answer to one of my problems,
    In this link http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-229004.php
    In the Internet Connection Sharing service in the Services menu I changed it from Automatic to Manual and it eliminated the Error in the Event Viewer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds