How to enable 2nd PCI-e slot?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cooldude76230, Aug 30, 2008.

1. cooldude76230

cooldude76230 Private E-2

Im trying to get better airflow in my case but my 8800 GT keeps a lot of the hot air from escaping. I moved the card to the 2nd PCI-e slot but I didn't have any picture. Do I need to download anything from NVIDIA to enable the 2nd slot because I can't seem to figure out how to do it with the NVIDIA programs I have now.

2. TISJUSME

TISJUSME Private E-2

Most probably, the settings you need will be in your motherboard BIOS..
    There is a possibility that you may need to change jumper settings on your motherboard.
    You may even need to uninstall you graphics driver before swapping PCI slots.

What motherboard do you have?
    Do you have the manual for it?

3. iheartwilco

iheartwilco Private E-2

ya the manual will have instructions for you if its possible with your mobo

4. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

yeah most of the time, unfourtunately you have to use that one PIC-e slot, my advice as far as cooling, add more fans to pull the air out, or in... just buy decent fans so you dont end up with a computer like mine, one that sounds like a vacum cleaner...

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yup- most motherboards with 2 PCIe slots only activate the first slot if only one cards is used. The 2nd slot is 'off' until a 2nd video card is installed. As for the cooling: most cases have a spot for an exhaust fan right next to where the mouse and keyboard connect. It's usually pre-drilled for an 80mm (and sometimes 90mm and 120mm) case fan. Many cases also have a spot for a front fan and a side fan. If you install a front fan, make sure it blows in to the case, and rear fan would blow out of the case. That way you'd have nice flow from front to back. If you install a side fan, it should blow in to the case also.

6. iheartwilco

iheartwilco Private E-2

thanks for that info, my bro told me all fans should blow out of the case

7. cooldude76230

cooldude76230 Private E-2

Thanks for all your help. Could I uninstall my card drivers and then attempt to reinstall the card in the second slot because I didn't uninstall anything when I moved it to the second slot the first time. If I can then the 1st slot would be disabled and the 2nd would be the active one, but Im not sure if it works that way.

The BIOS only has an option to switch between PCI and PCI-e for graphics.

8. TISJUSME

TISJUSME Private E-2

:-D
    You answered your own question here in a round about way...

I would try the following :-

Uninstall Video Drivers.
    Swap Video Card to slot 2
    Restart PC - Go to BIOS.
    Enable PCI and not PCI exin BIOS
    Load PC to see result. (If display shows)

If that doesnt work, try leaving the card in slot 2 and enable PCI ex in Bios again.

If neither of these options work - try installing a fan elsewhere in your pc case lol or buying a diferent case or video card. Another option is to just leave it running hot.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds