How To Enable Home Network ? I Have Wireless Already.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Mar 5, 2006.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I am computer saavy - I have been building, fixing, and tweaking my own systems for years. However, when it comes to networking, I am a dolt. So - forgive me here. Here is my question:

I have a Linksys wireless network set up. Of course, my cable connection runs to the router/hub thingie and my desktop is connected to said device. And, also as expected, my laptop runs off the wireless connection. So, here is the my problem - how in the heck do I network the two computers together? They are running of the same hub but how to them to communicate!

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction.

2. golddust

golddust Private E-2

I'm new at this also, but just recently networked my 2 home computers with Linksys equipment (one connected to router by cat 5 cable, the other is wireless). Did you run the Network Setup Wizard (Windows XP Home) on both computers? (Look in Control Panel). Be certain to assign the same workgroup name to both and give a unique name to each computer. I would disable any firewalls for the time being just to make sure they are not the problem (you can work on that after you get the computers 'seeing' each other without them). If you've done this and still can't see both computers in My Network Places, I'd get in touch with Linksys on their Live Chat Tech Support just to make sure those settings are correct ( www.linksys.com ). Hope these suggestions help.

I also found Linksys' Learning Center Network Basics very helpful - go to the home page and find the link for "Learning Center".

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Assuming that you have few computers that are using the same Internet connection and they are functioning well (I.e. each one can use the Internet).

Well, Good News you already have a Network.:D

You would like to Share the computers resources (files and printers) on this Network?

Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed to be shared.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds