HOw to extract .cab and .hdr files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shani, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Shani

Shani Private E-2

Hi,
    Today i was trying to unpack a software which was packed in instalshield.It was in exe format.I unzip it .Then i got these files
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Now i try to unpack cab files but i it was'nt easy.Searching alot on net i found may tools.But i found only one working after testing alot of tools.
    "InstallShield v12 CAB file viewer and extractor" and version 14 also.
    [​IMG]

It can unpack both cab and hldr files.Problem is that it can unpack one file at a time And Setup contains alot of files.I dont know what to do?
    Need suggestions

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Can you state why you need to uncompact a CAB file?

Using the likes of WinRAR will open a CAB file and then it depends what you need to get out of that archive, not all files in an archive are exceutables and they serve various purposes.

As it was an installsheild file, those are direct executables and do not need uncompacting, just double click the exe to run, and all files will be installed as needed, only way someone would need to extract an installsheild file is to reverse engineer it, so please advise us on what you are attempting

Give Windows version and Service Pack as well as what software app this is?

3. Shani

Shani Private E-2

Well it is software of a machine which is used to flash(Reprogram)Mobiles. I do not want to crack it.I just want to extract it because if we instal new os(windows) every time it requires to conect to the server to instal the program.All i need to unpack that software to make it available for offline users.

I also found zip scan working for it.But it is just unpack whole setup at one place instead of directories.
    Uniextract log through instalsield unpack(but it was fialed to unpack then it shows that log)

TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.02 - (C) 2003-06 By M.Pontello
    Definitions found: 2641
    Analyzing...

Collecting data from file: D:\MO\setup.exe
    37.1% (.EXE) InstallShield setup (43050/17/16)
    32.5% (.EXE) Win32 Executable MS Visual C++ (generic) (37706/45/16)
    11.2% (.SCR) Windows Screen Saver (13105/51/3)
    9.0% (.EXE) Win32 Executable Generic (10527/13/4)
    6.5% (.DLL) Win32 Dynamic Link Library (generic) (7600/42/2)

(i6comp was also faile here is screen shot)

[​IMG]

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 6/12/2010, 13:22:56
    Machine name: 0344-3B2D8BB149
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: OptiPlex GX280
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Memory: 2038MB RAM
    Page File: 276MB used, 3133MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds