How to find out if anyone is on my network

Discussion in 'Software' started by craigallen71, Nov 5, 2006.

1. craigallen71

craigallen71 Private E-2

Hello,
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this. If not let me know the corect forum to post it in. I use wireless internet at home and it is incripted. However, would like to find somthing that can tell me if anyone has hacked into my wireless network.

Any suggestions would be helpful

thank you and have a great day.

Craig

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

what router are you using? Many routers have client lists that show you who is connected, especially wirelessly. Additionally, some routers support rflow packet reading, which, when paried with a small software program on your computer, will show you who is using your router and how much bandwidth they are using :)

Its pretty safe to assume that as long as you have your network secured with WPA-PSK, most people arent going to take the time to crack the key. I dont blame you for being skeptical, however ;-)

3. craigallen71

craigallen71 Private E-2

thank you InYearsToCome for your reply. I am using the actiontec 54 mbps wireless dsl gateway model # GT704-wg

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If the Wireless is Encrypted with WAP, or WPA, and only if someone was given the key, or figured it out, there would be no one on it. As for your answer, all routers come with a way of looking at their DHCP tables to see the MAC address that has logged into them.

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

your particular router has an "Active User List" on the status page. If you are unfamiliar with accessing the router, the address is http://192.168.0.1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds