How to find out who's accessing my computer and block.

Discussion in 'Software' started by ForLackofABetterName, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ForLackofABetterName

ForLackofABetterName Private E-2

A cyberstalker is out to find any information on me that he can, so as a precaution, I looked up how to identify potential hacking threats on a computer. I ran tracert from the DOS prompt and noticed a lot of activity on it. I also created a ipconfiginfo.txt file (I read another thread that seemed to be a similar that advised to do so). Can someone please help me to identify if it appears from a more knowledgeable standpoint if my computer is being watched and help me identify which IP addresses to block in Comondo. Thank you so much.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Went through this a few years ago. Never did find out if I was being hacked...

I think it's pretty much standard procedure to turn off remote desktop...at least in XP. If you are on Windows 7, you can check around for advice on that. Turning off RD put my mind at ease.

If you want to try to nail down which IPs might be dangerous, you can try ActivePorts or cports. Both are lightweight and easy to use.

Anti-virus softwares use the net alot, since they check net pages, so make sure you have internet browsers closed. Take down the IPs of suspicious connections and Google them to see if you can nail down what they are...keep a log of them or whatever.

If there's a better way, I'd like to know myself...

3. ForLackofABetterName

Thank you so much for your response. The odd thing is, I do not have remote desktop turned on when I watch the activity on ports via Comodo, the IP addresses change frequently. Here's the report that came from the ipconfiginfo.txt (I placed a note of the IP address location within the text - preceded by an exclamation mark). The IP address that concerns me the most is the IP address that's located in my same town. It's also concerning that there are so many DNS servers. But I'm a novice, so I really hope someone can explain what this means.

Thanks again.

-----------------------
    ipconfiginfo.txt
    -----------------------

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : It's mine :)
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : Definitely Mine :)
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : Definitely My IP Address :)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0 !Location Not Found
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.140.112.1 !My town but not mine
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.114.39.114 !US Georgia Mcdonough
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.205.224.36 !US Ca Atascadero
    24.205.192.61 !US Missouri Saint Louis
    68.116.46.115 !US Oregon Grants Pass

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:18:06 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:25:53 PM

4. ForLackofABetterName

Thanks again...I think I need to get a bit more educated before I post further on this board (although posts and replies are a pretty good education, I don't wanna waste anyone's time). I'm gonna take a look further into IP address sites. The one I was looking at just provided location, very limited. More detail here might be necessary. Thanks again.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

FLOABN...if you're sure you are being watched...or pretty sure, you should find something to lock your files if you have anything on the PC that is a security worry.

It's a pretty complicated subject, but when I was working on it, I had some ideas in mind over who it might be based on things on my PC and net sites I use.

The IP that is worrying you Googles to be in California. Some of the IP sites have a Google map that points to the supposed location of the server, but they are usually a corn field or whatever. In this case, looks like a junkyard.

The thing that concerned me was that I could have some software on the computer that made it possible for a hacker to upload files. I keep them locked, but when I use one, it is unlocked. If you are concerned about that possibility, MS has a great program called Process Explorer. You can see all processes running in real time in a file tree type view. You can really nail down what a process actually is using PE. It's much better than trying to use Task Manager...

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

No, it isn't yours. Looks very much to me as if you are actually using a neighbour's router, not your own. That's perfectly possible where you have close neighbours and they have failed to protect their wireless router.

If you have the router manual then look up how you access its configuration pages and find out what SSID it has (the name its broadcasting under) and then look at your available wireless networks and try to log on to it. If it's protected you will also be asked for the wireless password so better find that too. If you don't have the manual then give us the make and model and we'll see if we can help.

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Actually this sounds like all this is correct, your dns wouldn't be in your house, it would be at your isp or even googles. Your gateway address is the first address all the info leaving your router goes to, again this would be your isps address. I honestly dont see anything here to be worried about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute has nothing to do with showing possible routes of being monitored, just the path your data takes to get to were its going.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The default gateway address returned by the ipconfig /all command should be your router/modem, in most cases something like 192.168.1.1. It should not be an external IP address as is the OP's. Try it ;)

I'm intrigued though that the OP can access the internet at all with a gateway address like that. More info needed on how he/she connects.

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Um thats if the user is using a router as a router, not a connection in which his computer may do the connecting, like oh lets say a dsl connection with ppoe. Yes, more info is good, but there are many legit reasons a person would have a wan ip address on a personal computer. Its pretty common in the past, and although its being less so, i know that i have seen it many times and its not an issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds