How to Fix a Laptop with a Comforter

Discussion in 'Latest Videos From MajorGeeks YouTube Channel' started by Major Attitude, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

My friend has a Dell Inspiron laptop that was giving off the "7 beeps of death". With some research, we found this an annoying solder issue with the Northbridge of the motherboard. Several techs were able to fix this by pulling the motherboard and applying a blow torch to a sustained 450 degrees. We read elsewhere that someone had wrapped a laptop in a towel and heated it that way.

I was skeptical, but there was NO WAY my buddy was letting me put a blow torch to his laptop ... So the choice was, let's see if we can fix a PC with a comforter.

Here's the process. Just plug in the laptop, turn it on and wrap it up. Let it stay on 15-30 minutes. (15 did not work for me, but 30 did). I doubt I would risk going over 30. I would rather cool it first and try again. I cooled it in a fridge for speed, but you don't have too. Then turn it on to bask in the glory of a boot! It's that simple.

For us, took two attempts but it worked perfectly and the machine has been behaving flawlessly ever since. We'll keep you posted.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OokzzJLhD6k?list=UU9-wz8Md_X6V3BCihYW3jig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/majorgeeks

crookedbandit likes this.
  2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I did this on a HP 6000 series, and a few others,a few years ago,with 'dead'graphics - success in 2 out of 3.
    Always worth a try- I did mine for an hour, but put in a safe spot, on a metal plate,but , too be honest it never got hot enough to catch fire.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

You can also tear the laptop down and bake the mobo in the oven to re-flow the solder.

Usually around 6-8 minutes at 450.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds