How to For Folding@Home

Discussion in 'Software' started by jarcher, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

Taken from Extreme Overclocking and teampicard , I made a few changes, and add the web links, I think. Hope it helps

Folding@ Home FAQ

You can also get tons of info about folding from Stanford’s FAQ page. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

FAQ

What is this “Folding at Home” stuff anyway?
    Folding@Home is a distributed computing project by Stanford University that studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation,
    and related diseases. In short, they’re trying to find cures for diseases like Alzheimer’s, Mad Cow, Parkinson’s, CJD, and ALS.

Sounds great, how do I get started?
    All you need is a computer and an Internet connection. Just go to the STANFORD SITE, download the appropriate client and
    install it on your computer. Installation varies by client type and is covered below.

What clients are available?

There are currently clients for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. For Windows and OS X you can get a graphical client, a text only
    client or a screen saver. Linux only has the text client.

I don’t have broadband, can I still fold?
    Yes. You can setup the client to autodial or wait when it finishes a work unit.

UD Monitor is a useful program that will allow you to download and que up several WUs in a row if you
    don't want the client to autodial.

Which client should I use?
    The graphical client is the easiest to install and to manage. It has a graphics window available that allows you to see the
    protein being simulated. It is installed via a simple installation wizard that asks you all relevant configuration questions.
    During installation, it will create a shortcut to the exe and place it in your startup folder so that it launches when you login.
    It will also put an icon in your system tray so you can minimize, maximize or configure the client. On the down side, the
    graphical client is known to interfere with some games.

The text only console provides information about the simulation in a text format. It runs in a terminal window and minimizes
    to your taskbar. You can use an app like Trayit to minimize to your system tray. You will need to create a shortcut manually
    and install it in your startup folder. The text console can also be installed as a service so it launches with Windows and will run
    in the background regardless of which user is logged in.

The screen saver works pretty much like any other, except that your computer begins folding when Windows activates the
    screen saver.

Which client is fastest?

Text > Graphical > Screen Saver
    Windows > Linux > OS X (Although is seems that the speed differences are small)

How do I install my client?
    **Make sure you enter 12072 as the team number**
    **You can use any name you like but you can’t transfer points later if you want to change it**

To avoid confusion, use your MG username. The download page at Stanford has a name search window to
    help with name selection.

Graphical Client – Download Folding@Home4.EXE, double click and follow the installation wizard.

Screen Saver - Download , double click and follow the installation wizard.

Text Console -
    - Make a directory for FAH (for this example C:\FAH)
    - Download
    Folding@Home4.exe into the new directory
    - Create a new shortcut and specify the target as:

"C:\FAH\FAH4Console.exe" -advmethods -forceSSE -verbosity 9

Put the shortcut in your startup folder and reboot your machine.
    - The client will launch automatically and will run through the configuration the first time it starts.
    - Select yes for advanced options and put FAH in the choice for (auto/fah/gah)

Text Console as a Service
    (Recommended Win2k, XP)-
    The instructions are [url+http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88368]Installing and Configuring F@H as a Service

Can I install FAH as a service on Win98?
    Use graphical client but run as a service (yes it can be done in win98)

I've got my second rig set up this way and it runs with NO tray icon and it even runs when you're not logged on I was monitoring
    it with emIII and it was still working away at the windows log in screen.(not sure bout the upload/download when
    not logged on though)

1-Install the graphical client as normal but remove the shortcut from the start menu

2-use regedit - put a new string in
    MyComputer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\W indows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

3- Have it pointing to the folding exe like this:
    C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\WinFah.exe

There you have it now it'll run with no icons or third party software and the only way you'll know it's running is when
    you ctrl-alt-del as it shows up there
    >>I should have mentioned to open it up normally at least once to set all your options first...12072 & username<<

What are flags?
    Flags are special instructions given to the client at launch.

You can see the complete list Folding@home Console Client: User Guide

How do I use flags?

Append them to the target line in the shortcut that launches your folding client.

Which flags should I use?
    AMD Single processor rig: -advmethods -forceSSE -verbosity 9
    Intel Single processor rig: -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9
    AMD Multiprocessor rig: -local -advmethods -forceSSE -verbosity 9
    Intel MP/HT rig: -local -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9

-advmethods: "Request to be assigned any new Cores or work units." In effect, you get gromacs most of the time.
    You will still get the occasional Tinker.

In April of 2004, the points awarded for many WUs, including tinkers, were increased. As a result, there is
    better ppd parity between tinkers and gromacs and the -advmethods flag now provides less benefit than it once did.
    In fact, some folders no longer use it.

-forceSSE: "On machines with an AMD processor, Core_78 gives priority to 3DNow over SSE -- this overrides that."
    NOTE: AMD TBird processors do NOT support SSE.

-forceasm: "Instruct the core to use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions if possible, even if it has previously made the
    determination that the machine may not be handling this well."

-verbosity 9: Sets the level of output detail that is written to the log file

"Forcesse and Forceasm are only effective if you have issues with the PC folding....

By Default a RIG AMD or INTEL will use SSE/3DNOW ECT.... with no flags... but if you have a error or a reboot caused by
    instability in the PC or heat or for whatever reason... the FORCE XXX flag will force the PC to use SSE even after a crash ect....
    without the flag it will revert back to not using SSE to gain stability on a crash."

What core priority should I use?

Use low priority on a dedicated folding rig. The core will try to run at all times.
    Use idle priority on an everyday use rig. The core will only try to run when NOTHING else is active.

Can I adjust the core priority using task manager?
    No. The priority has to be set during configuration.

What do I do if I have more than one rig folding?

You set up each machine the same way. Use the same user name and team number no matter how many rigs you have.

Do I need a different machine ID for each rig?
    No. The machine ID referrs to the number of processors in a single rig, not the number of rigs in your farm.
    Each instance of FAH needs a different machine ID, but each rig can have the same machine ID.

How do I set up a multi-processor/HT machine?
    **You will need to use the text console client**

- Install the first client as described above except that you need to add the “-local” flag to your shortcut.
    - Make a second folder “FAH2” for example. Install the second instance just like the first but enter “2”
    for the machine ID.

If you want to run two instances as a service, use the GUI service installer and simply enter 2 for the number of clients.
    The installer will set everything up for you.

What should I know about my FAH directory?
    Work Folder – Contains the files your FAH client is currently working on or waiting to upload.
    client.cfg – Contains the configuration information for your client. You can edit this with a text editor.
    If you delete it and are using the text console, the console will run through the configuration process the next time you launch it.
    FAHlog.txt – This is the log file of your clients activity. The “-verbosity 9” flag adds details to the log.
    unitinfo.txt – This gives you the progress your client has made on the current WU.
    queue.dat – This dat file is the que of WUs waiting to be turned in plus info on your current WU

What is a WU?
    A WU is a work unit. It’s the term Stanford uses for a single simulation run.

Are all WUs the same?

No. There are three types of WU:

- FAHCore_65.exe - Tinker - 100, 200 or 400 frames. They are generally the slowest WUs and the -advmethods flag
    reduces the number your rig will be assigned unless Stanford releases a new crop.

- FAHCore_78.exe - Single Gromacs - 100 frames. Use SSE. They are generally the fastest WUs.

- FAHCore_79.exe - Double Gromacs - 100 frames. Use SSE2 They are much faster than single Gromacs on P4 rigs.

There are many different proteins of each type being studied. See the list Currently Running Projects

How long does it take to finish a WU?

A WU can take anywhere from 4 to 36 hours to complete on a fast rig. Obviously longer on slower rigs.
    Stanford has set the scoring system so that you get more points for the bigger WUs.

How does the scoring system work?

This is how Stanford explains it:

“How do you determine how many points a work unit is worth? Before putting out any new work unit, we benchmark it
    on a dedicated 500MHz Celeron machine (this machine does not have SSE/3DNow). We plug the results of this into the
    following formula:
    points = 3.5 * multiplier * (daysPerWU)
    where daysPerWU is -- no surprise -- the number of days it took to complete the unit.”

My current WU is corrupt/way too slow, How do I delete It?
    - Close FAH
    - Delete the Work folder and queue.dat file in your FAH directory
    - Restart FAH

You may have to do this a few times if you are trying to get a different WU.

My log file says I can’t send/receive WUs, What do I do?
    If everything is working on your end, check your log file for the IP address of the server your client is trying to connect to.
    Then check HERE for the server status. It may be a problem at Stanford.

How will MY computer perform?

Here are some production examples for reference:
    (ppd = points per day)

2500+ Barton @ 2.5 GHz - 161 ppd
    1800+ T Bread @ 2.3 GHz - 150 ppd
    1700+ Palomino @ 1.5 Ghz – 73 ppd
    550 MHz Xeon – 25 ppd
    2.0 GHz Xeon – 68 ppd
    2.4 GHz Xeon - 96 ppd
    2.4 GHz Xeon HT - 140 ppd
    3.0 GHz Xeon HT - 200 ppd
    3.2 GHz P4 - 146 ppd
    3.8 GHz p4 - 228 ppd

How much bandwidth will FAH use?

You can expect FAH to transmit 2Mb ~ 3Mb in the process of uploading a finishsed WU and downloading a new one.

How do I check my score?
    You can check the official Stanford stats HERE

You can check the Team team stats HERE

Where did all my WUs go?
    It sometimes takes a few hours to a day or so for WUs to make it into the stats.
    Double check your user name and team number and just be patient.

How do I monitor multiple rigs?
    There are several applications that let you track multiple rigs from one machine:

EMIII
    Basic Functions:
    Track multiple rigs via network
    Records WU data
    Reports WU data as .csv file or as HTML
    Reports WU progress graphics as HTML
    Built in web server for WU data
    Can be used to stealth a text console
    Built in client.cfg file editor
    Built in queue.dat file viewer
    Built in production calculator
    Changeable skins

FAHSTATS
    Basic Functions:
    Track multiple rigs from network and view on local machine or on the Internet via it's built in Http server
    Estimates ppd, ppw for current WU
    Maintains a list of Stanford projects
    Changeable skins

DCMonitor
    Basic Functions:
    Track multiple rigs via network
    Reports WU data as HTML

How do I get that Liquid Ninja sig thingy?

Add the following to your sig for the liquid ninja stats:

http://www.liquidninjas.net/dc/ln_dc_sigs.php?xfahuser=YOURUSERNAMEHERE&xfahteam=23[/img*]

Remember to remove the * and add your username

[B]What’s wrong with my Liquid Ninja sig thingy?[/B]
    The liquid ninja stats run a day or two behind. Double check your sig and just be patient.
    [B]
    How do I get that other sig thingy?[/B]
    Add the following to your sig for the statgfx stats:

[img]http://gfx.statgfx.com/old/folding.cgi?&username=YOUR_USERNAME_HERE&teamid=23&border=0,0,0&custom=0,0,255&label=0,0,255&header=0,0,255&stats=0,0,
    255&bgcolor=0,0,0&trans=yes&template=fah_original&.jpg&cpu=YOUR_CPU_COUNT_HERE[/img*]

Remember to remove the * and add your username and cpu count
    You can change the colors if you like.

[B]Ok, so now I'm a total FAH junkie and I want to build more rigs, what do I build?[/B]
    Good question, and one that will spark a fair amount of debate.

Best bang for the buck: AMD 1800 Tbread
    Upgrade for a few more bucks: AMD 2500M Barton
    High end: Dual AMD or high end P4 HT
    King of all Folders: P4 HT OC to ~4.0 GHz

In General: Intel << AMD < Intel HT

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2005
  2. mew2

mew2 Sergeant Major

this is great! i learned so much from this! Thanks for posting this! :)

3. jarcher

ahh. . crap

goldy, can you fix these lines

to

Installing and Configuring F@H as a Service

4. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

Very interesting and informative jarcher.:)

Thanks!!

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Fixed :)

When I get around to reworking the content in the main forum I'll draw some stuff from here, with proper credit of course. I think this is linked to in one of the stickies, but it will be in due course :)

6. jarcher

okay. . . .

7. jarcher

I noticed this is all mesed up as well,
    there shold be two links there, they seem to be merged

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds