how to free up space on flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toddler, Feb 7, 2009.

1. toddler

toddler Private E-2

I have a scandisk 4GB microcruzer flash drive. Recently I noticed that I am low on free space even though I only have a 700mb movie on the drive. It states the capacity as 3.82g and used space as 2.81g. When hooked up to the PS3 I can see items in the recycle, and I tried to delete them via the PS3 controls and it didn't work. I can't seem to access the recycle of the flash drive when it's hooked up to my computer. When I run search for files on the "F" drive all sorts come up, but no recycle and I'm don't want to start messing around with files when I don't know what I'm doing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

copy the entire 4 gib to a new folder on your computer just in case this doesn't work you can put it back..

Now make a second folder and try to copy the movie file to your computer, once it is on the computer play it and make sure it works. Once you verified you have copied the file to your computer re format the microcruzer, after if is reformatted check the disk space make sure you have the 4 gb accounted for. transfer the movie file back from the desk top to the flash drive. now check the amount of space you have.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The Micro-cruzer I recently purchased had some safety backup and restore programs preinstalled. They showed when I opened the drive on them though.

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Hey, Hrlow would they take up several gigs of space?

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Honestly, no. More like 75-80MB.

6. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

it appears that this ps3 must have put other files on that drive A 700mb movie shouldn't turn into 2.8 gigs used

7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Tod,

You remove the recycle bin contents from your DeskTop Icon Recycle Bin same as any deleted file. You can probably delete them from the Flash Drive, but easier from the desktop. Some drives do not save in the Recycle Bin but will not show the bin in their Folder such as the Floppy drive etc.

Hope this helps a little,
    Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds