How to get Hamster to be finishing the process of downloaing zips again?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Using Hamster Free Zip Archiver, when I click on Extract, it brings up Browse For Folder, which shows Temp highlighted. I click OK, at which point Hamster goes into unresponsiveness and never finishes the job. This used to work for me. I don't understand why it's going wrong now.

Should I abandon Hamster for another zip program that you would suggest?

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I do not know Hamster. I have used WinZip for decades, but now I exclusively use the free 7-Zip without any problems.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using?
    Is your version of Hamster the latest version (currently v2.0.1.3)?

What I would try is to uninstall Hamster and re-install the latest version HERE then try again, but this time create a new folder to unzip your files too and not use the default temp folder that you get highlighted.

7-zip is good

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I'm another supporter of 7-zip. It's a great open source program, and they have a 64 bit version as well.

6. Much thanks to all of you.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

I tried the clicking on New Folder. It didn't work right away so I clicked a couple of times. Then I saw two New Folders in the Browse For Folder window. I clicked it out and started all over again--**dumb**--http://forums.majorgeeks.com/images/smilies/frown.gifand I didn't see a New Folder subsequently on several attempts. I did see Apps highlighted at least once. I decided to quit downloading off my Pale Moon Downloads page and go back to the NirSoft website all over again. That time the Browse for Folder window brought up Downloads, so I said OK, I'll try that. And I was able to get it to work, to get WebBrowserPassView out of downloads and onto my Desktop.

I did make sure to update Hamster (on Pale Moon) during all this, before I posted here, but I ended up with 1.2.0.4 according to my Windows directory. On the other hand, Tech Tracker says I have 2.0.0.25. Your link is 2.0.1.3. Tech Tracker tells me I'm out of date, yet 2.0.0.25 is what CNET has as the latest. Confusing!

Revo Uninstaller told me I had both at the same location. So I uninstalled using Revo. What is it about Hamster that you need to uninstall before updating?

I have now downloaded the latest Hamster through Major Geeks.

I saw in Hamster's license it is based on 7-zip. If I have any more trouble with Hamster I will quickly resort to 7-zip.

I really love Major Geeks and have concluded that CNET is really only good for reading and writing reviews. It's miserable using it for downloads. I will indeed be supporting Major Geeks on Facebook very soon.

I have seen something about a Major Geeks update manager. Could you give me the link to that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds