how to get quicktime and Itunes completely off my computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dr_cracker, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Dr_cracker

Dr_cracker Private E-2

I am posting this as a new thread.
    originally i posted it as a reply to "quicktime is the pitts".
    I now realize that it is a different issue.

I am not trying to get itunes and quicktime updates to work. I am trying to completely remove them so that i can reinstall them from them from the original source: my itunes cd. the origin response in the thread "quicktime is the Pitts" is pasted below.

since that response i have visited http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2331554

this forum thread reports a conflict between windows security update
    kb908531 and the updated quicktime and itunes files.

on a speparate pc with the same orriginal version of itunes and quicktime (never updated) and an installed windows security update kb908531 my ipod works fine and is recognized by the itunes software.

so separate from the issue that their may be conflicts with the update apple software and that windows security update...

the apple software updates are the true problem.

because I CAN'T GET THEM OFF MY #@%&ING COMPUTER.

please help.

Here is my original response to to the thread "quicktime is the pitts" which detail how i have tried to remove the apple files:

i believe i am having the same issue.

i am running xp on a dell inspiron and emachines desktop

I attempted to uninstall both itunes and quicktime after upgrading them via the itunes update 7.something.

the interfaced was terrible and it totally slowed my desktop down. I started with my notebook since it was moving faster. tried system restore to point before the install. would not not restore at all with a regular boot. it seemed to work in safe mood but then i got a blank screen and completely unresponsive key board after (what seemed like a successful) reboot.

i undid the system restore. tried another (several) uninstall/reinstall in the following way:

via add/remove progs:

unistalled itunes
    unistalled Quick time
    unistalled ipod updater

(note: add/remove makes you choose "uninstall" or "uninstall everything". it say uninstall everything is not recommended since it will mess with some of the other programs on my comp. So i went with "unistall")

via process explorer:

ipodservice.exe --> killed process tree
    ituneshelper.exe--> killed process tree
    qttask.exe --> killed process tree

went into c and then Program files then "itunes folder"
    threw out itunehelper.exe.
    then into "ipod" floder and threw out "bin" folder (containing "ipodservice.exe") and the "ipodupdater" folder
    then in to C\program files\quicktime and threw out all remaining exe files

emptied recycle bin

then into C\documents and and settings\check every file user folder for temp files or application data folders containin apple, itunes, or quicktime folders. if they did i emptied them out to the recylcing bin.

then i emptied the recyling bin. i used a registry fix (see thread "uninstalled itunes caused dvd drive failure" in majorgeeks support forum under "hardware").
    then i rebooted to complete the above uninstalls.

then i rechecked the C\program files and C\documents and and settings\ to make sure none of those files didn't mysteriously reappear.

then i reinstalled my original itunes version from the CD. (i do not want the updated version). when prompted to format my ipod, i selected something like "do it later". completed the installation steps.

I was very suspicious when itunes puts up the following fields:
    "serial Number from the back of you ipod"
    "name"
    "email address"

they already had my information in them.

finished installation. opened itunes got the following message
    "quicktime unavailable"
    "quick time failed to initialize. Error #2905.
    please make sure that quicktime is properly installed on the computer."
    reboot the computer has not changed this.
    updating the quicktime software has not changed this.

i had tried previously simply to uninstall and then reinstall the without taking the care to stop the .exe files and trash the leftovers out of C (program file and Documents&settings).

at that time result was an error message saying that itunes could not locate the ipod since itunes was not installed properly.

please advise.

thank you for your time,
    Dr_cracker

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

There are detailed instructions at> Apple Support <on how to do this through add/remove programs.
    Things like Do Not restart when prompted.
    A 16 step process for iTunes and 14 steps for Quicktime.

4. Dr_cracker

Dr_cracker Private E-2

thanks for the quick response

both suggestions look relatively simple.

i have the same concern for both. here goes:

while doing the uninstall for quick time at add/remove, i was prompted to chose between "uninstall" and "uninstall everything". The second warned me that this particular program might overlap some files with other programs and then said "(not recommended)".

I have already had issue. i knocked my dvd drive out of use. got that working again but my Sonic software is not recognizing audio cd's.

i feel that i am going to have this very issue again with either solution that i try (i say that having no experience with "your unistaller").

at any rate i will proceed with protocol from the apple info page. most of the procedure listed there i did. but erasing files from windows\systems32 is not one of them. it may be critical

please advise mcadam and/or evilfantasy how to avoid unistalling files that i should not.

thanks for you time.

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Have you tried using Your Uninstaller? It's dead simple and only removes relevant data.

6. Dr_cracker

Dr_cracker Private E-2

Yeah, i went through the who rigameroll (sp?) again. as per evilfantasy's info from
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93698 plus i went thru
    docs and setting temp files and user\application data to find any lingering itunes, apple, or quicktime files. plus i did a search for same files. ...but i did not delete every single one.

i was afraid to to delete anything out of c\1386 and c\1386\driver.cab since i a not familiar with this directory

i did get my original version of itunes on my computer. (which means that the quicktime did load as well) there were no Saved personal info in the info fields during installation. that was good.

but whereas itunes launches and seems to work i am getting that same old message that "itunes could not communicate with the ipod because the software is installed incorrectly. please re install software"

meanwhile when that same itunes version on another desktop has no trouble recognizing the ipod.

i'll give this a "your uninstaller" a shot.

i recently saw another thread on this forum about a vulnerability caused by downloading album art. i did do this shortly after upgrading my itunes. I am wondering if this has cause the orginal issue of my hanging and crashing when plugging in my ipod

but i don't think that that would explain why itunes won't recognize my ipod.

7. Dr_cracker

Dr_cracker Private E-2

Nope...

It didn't work.

Used "your uninstaller". By appearances, it had the same effect as using add remove programs and then doing some manual deletion of files:

1. The install acted like it was the first time (since none of my personal information seemed to be saved by the uninstalled versions previously installed on my machine).

2. I was able to complete the software installation.
    3. Program launches and runs normally.

4. i plug the ipod into the USb. Itunes reponds by saying. "the software for required for communicating with the ipod is not installed correctly. reinstall the software for the ipod.

i assume from that this is occuring because some part of the itunes (or quicktime) upgrade has not been removed and is interfereing will the reinstall of the older version. If i put the old version of software on a different computer it would work.

Of course my assumption could be wrong. some other "thing" could be stopping the reintall of the original version, but i haven't had any problem installing other programs.

please help
    DR_cracker

8. williamsps

williamsps Private E-2

My problem is kinda the opposite side of the coin. I've uninstalled quicktime & itunes as completely as I can, including following the directions on the apple support site that was cited in an earlier post. I don't see any traces of any apple products on this laptop. But when I try to install quicktime now, everything chugs along for a while & then stops with a message saying

"Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Interface\{02BF25D4-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B}\ProxyStubClsid. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

When I click on OK, it rolls back all of the install process that has happened to that point.

I tried logging on as an administrator & the same thng happens.

I tried to look at that key in the registry. When I get to the folder labeled ProxyStudClsid & click on it I get "Cannot open ProxyStubClsid. Error while opening key."

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Please start a new thread for your problem Williamsps. It gets very confusing for the Original Poster to work through what advice is aimed at him otherwise. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds