How to get rid of partitions on 2nd harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Can't come up with any, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I want to us an old HD with partitions on it, with my present HD. How do I get rid of the partitions so it only shows one drive instead of multiple drives on my XP installation?

2. From what I can tell I need a programe to combine all the partitions back into one regular drive. Is this correct? If so, what should I use? (must be free)

3. Is Super Fdisk 1.0 something worth checking out? Looks like it can do the job, but I would like someones opinion.

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i don't know about the program that you mentioned, and i don't know about deleting partitions. however, i do know that i've read about 4-5 different peeps in the last few weeks to a month, that have deleted partitions (or added partitions), and had adverse affects (ie - they either werent' able to bootup, or they couldn't get to their data, and had to try some recovery software - some succesful, and some i never heard from again)). anyway, i'd either backup what you have, or take this with a grain of salt. - g/l, sos

fyi, i'm sure you'll get other comments, just my .02 worth. ;)

5. Thanks for the response sosaman,

I'm not worried about data loss 'cause I'm using an old hard drive as a slave.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you don't care about the data currently on any of the partitions on the slave drive you can delete them all and then create a new partition and format it.

In Xp you can delete partitions in Computer Management. Right click My Computer and select Manage. In the Left-Pane Click Disk Management.

You will see a graph of your HD's. Your slave drive should be Disk 1. Right click the partitions you want to delete and select delete. If you don't care about the data on any of them just remove them all and then create a new large partition and format it.

If you need to save some of the data then wait and see if someone can recommend a free partition management program that can resize one of the partitions. I've seen one recommended here but don't remember its name.

7. Thanks sach2,

Short and simple, just the way I like it. Worked like a charm. Not having to worry about data loss was also a big help.

Thanks again guys.

8. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

lol, had you said that, you would have gotten a different response. anyway, glad every thing is a ok!! :)

edit - i tend to be cautious on certain things (as people tend to leave details out), and of course i was on yours. anyway, peace out... - sos

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You are welcome, glad I could help. :)

Sosaman, I never know how much detail or warnings to give. I was ready to edit my post to warn that the system drive was Disk 0 and the slave drive, although Disk 1, was not the first disk on the list and also to give more detailed instructions for creating a partition from the newly unallocated space. Warnings are good--especially about partitioning. Your post helped clarify the matter for me. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds