How to get rid of WMI error message or correct problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by sapo, Oct 9, 2006.

1. sapo

sapo Private E-2

Tried earlier but no luck.

Can someone tell me how to get rid of WMI error report message that's popping up every minute or so. Or how do I fix the problem without having to reinstall the windows XP again?

Not a computer wizard but have reasonable skills getting into the regedit, etc.

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Can you be a bit more specific ?

Whats the full error message ? You can actually copy error messages by pressing Ctrl - C when the dialog is active.

3. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

sapo don't start multiple thread please people get confused and don't knows with one to answers ONE is okay....

I ask a question on the others one...

4. sapo

sapo Private E-2

I have been having a bit of trouble Sorry Matt and Kent.

I private emailed Halo with my info but for some reason I can't copy and paste it.
    I'm operating a Dell pc with OEM windows xp home edition it it.
    The error says WMI needs to close now
    Send report to microsoft.
    I think I have a problem with the Microsoft Windows management something.
    the popups usually start after startup and last for a while then go away.
    The pc is VERY slow starting up. Then again i am using horrible AOL 9.0 security version.

5. sapo

sapo Private E-2

I meant I surf the net using AOL

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Could you have a look in your event logs and see if you can see any error message that are relevant ?

To view your event logs goto Start --> Run and type in Eventvwr.msc and hit enter.

Have a look in the application section. if you think it is relevant post it here and we will take a look for you.

7. sapo

sapo Private E-2

How do I copy that info from the screen?

8. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

If you double click on the error your think might be relevant in the list (probably one with a red icon) it will open a new window with more details. if you click on the button below the down arrow it will copy the text to the clipboard. you can then paste it here by right clicking in the text input box and selecting paste.

9. sapo

sapo Private E-2

Ok where do I find the clipboard?

10. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

you don't need to find it lol,. it just exists, its like a small bit of memory for storing stuff temporarily. Once you click the button below the down arrow you computer will just remember it until you come to paste.

11. sapo

sapo Private E-2

I'm a dummy but I do have the event viewer and i clicked the thing. Now how do I find that piece of info. sorry to be a pain

12. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

its stored in a virtual location. to view it you need to paste it. if you jkust want to see it then you can paste it into any text editor such as note pad by opening notepad and clicking edit in the menu and selecting paste.

We need to see it here though so now you've copied it just right click in the box you type your messages in and select paste from the context menu that pops up. Alternativly there is a shortcut key to do this, Hold down the ctrl key (located on the bottom left of your keyboard) and then press V

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Error message from PM

Did you also try these settings from your first thread, in relation to my question on if WMI service started and set to Automatic.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=862545&postcount=2

Also what are you doing at the time these errors popup, by that I mean is their any particular application you have open or just ran or it is purely random?

What service pack for XP do you have installed, are you fully uptodate will all Microsoft Updates?
    To check on Service Pack in Control Panel, double click System and under the system title just above Registered to: it will say Service Pack version.

Sorry on the PM by sadly and for many reasons I dont answer techincal questions in PMs as its always best to keep all Q&As in a thread as I may not always have the time in my schedule to reply to PMs but many of the members here would know why I asked a certain question and woudl be able to follow on, likewise with me if they were not able to get to the keyboard to help... many many of us here have busy work lives ( today being one of those days as I didnt get 10minutes to myself or get on the net much ) and try and help freely when we get enough time.

14. sapo

sapo Private E-2

I'll try copying manually:

It says it's an application failure

Faulting application wmiprvse.exe Version 5.1.2600.2180
    Faulting Module Kernel32.dll Version 5.1.2600.2945

Faulkt address also is there but don't know if i should post that

15. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I can see the error message now from halos post sapo.

I think we should check all your core components are ok

You will need your windows cd. Pop it in the drive and do the following.

Goto STart --> Run and type in the following sfc /scannow and hit enter. Note the space between sfc and /scannow

16. sapo

sapo Private E-2

I'm not doing any gaming or doing anything accept normal email stuff.
    I was having problems with the computer two weeks ago when my old asol 8.0 kind if crashed. I went into the bootup section to see if i could stop crtain things from coming up in the start up but that's when the problem started.

17. sapo

sapo Private E-2

in doing that will I lose all the stuff in the computer?

18. sapo

sapo Private E-2

I'm getting the disk now one sec

19. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

No you won't lose anything on your computer. it is just a scan to check if the core components of the Windows operating system are ok.

What did you change in msconfig. Have you tried changing it back ?

20. sapo

sapo Private E-2

well at one point i tried the sytem restore and it wouldn't go but one day back and that was a day it was messed up as well.

21. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

please try what I suggested in #15

22. sapo

sapo Private E-2

i have 2 disks recovery andapplication recory which do i use? Thanks for your help.

23. sapo

sapo Private E-2

oops i have 2 do what number 15 says one sec

24. sapo

sapo Private E-2

I went to the start run and entered what you said but I didnt put any cd in there should I stop it?

25. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

if it needs a CD it will ask you for it. You may have problems since you don't have the actual windows CD and only a recovery CD, when it asks you, put the recovery CD in. Please do not allow it to run anything though and make sure you remove it before you reboot your computer or it may boot to the recovery cd and restore your computer to factory settings.

26. sapo

sapo Private E-2

Man I'm slow, I had old disks from HP must find the dell one.

27. sapo

sapo Private E-2

Bizarre,
    I did the scan twice and when it gets the very end it disappears with no trace.
    What has also disappeared is the DELL recovery disks which I'm still hunting for. Damn

28. sapo

sapo Private E-2

Re; halo's post

BTW to Halo, It's service pack 2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds