How to hide a recipients email address in a form

Discussion in 'Software' started by johnt13, Nov 1, 2002.

1. johnt13

johnt13 Private E-2

I want to hide a recipients email address in a form using FormMail.pl. Here is how itcame out of the box:
    <INPUT type="hidden" NAME="recipient" VALUE="email@someplace.comeg">
    Is there a way to use an alias or something so the @???.com isn't used? Maybe something like:
    <INPUT type="hidden" NAME="alias" VALUE="jobtitle">
    But I'm not sure how to go from here tying the alias value with the recipient value. And how or where does this go in the perl script? Or does another function/process/script have to be created?
    All I'm trying to do is keep a bunch of newbies from blaming me (webmaster) for spam or viruses they get using email addresses I create. I give them unigue aliases that are simply redirects to their email addresses.
    TIA (thanks in advance)

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I dont' know perl at all, but If I wanted to hide the value from someone doing a view source,I would just slap that value into a session variable and then set that variable to null or empty when I was done with sending the email.

3. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

concate them... like in JavaScript you would do...

var job1 = "@"
    var job2 = ".com"
    document.write("<INPUT type=\"hidden\" NAME=\"alias\" VALUE=\" " + "someone" + job1 + "yahoo" + job2 + "\">")

LoL, a bit confusing but if you know JS its simple...I dont know perl though, sorry...

4. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Im sure in Perl you could just print("<script> \n
    var job1 = "@";\n
    var job2 = ".com"; \n
    document.write("<INPUT type=\"hidden\" NAME=\"alias\" VALUE=\" " + "someone" + job1 + "yahoo" + job2 + "\">");\n</script>") or something like that... Sorry if it doesnt work... they may be an error because there are 2 )'s but I dont know perl, I read a tutorial on Perl so it may be wrong.. Im sure though you could solve it :)

BTW, if you are using a database for the site, use <script language=JavaScript>... Issues come with the Script tag and databases...

EDIT: googled a bit and learned something on perl

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2002
  5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

even if you concatenate, perl is an html streamer.. it will show the final result of the concatenation of the string. Seems to me like that will still allow the viewing of the email address in the end.

6. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

freak! Kinda like PHP you mean? Sorry dont know much about perl and web crap at all... Is it server side? God if I making no sense... sorry... And I learned basic Perl and edited that thing 4-5 times for that... jeez... :)

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yeah, perl, php and asp are all html streamers.. so if you slap a value into a variable and "write it out ", the value will show. Not the variable. So yeah, it woud be server side.

8. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

OK... good, I made sense... LOL, need some more sleep but w/e, for the perl thing you couldnt possibly just insert the script into the HTML directly somehow could you? Or is that perl script the whole page? I would think you would have a *.html or *.htm page and then you would have somewhere in there it call the perl script. or is the perl script the whole page? like does it have print("<html>") and stuff as well? ARG! Hard to describe...But if you are using server side it would be hard to concate so the best I could think of is DB which isnt a good option...

9. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Using formamail...(which you better read the docs on how to secure that.)

You can and SHOULD hard code the recipients emails in the actual cgi. Its onthe docs.

If you do use it, though you should also rename formail.pl to something else. It is a highly exploited script.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds