How to Identify and Uninstall Unneeded Devices?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjnc, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I'm trying to get rid of any old or unneeded devices (and Drivers), and I saw a few things that might be removable.

In Device Manager, when I turn ON Show Hidden Devices, these are in the list.

Non-Plug and Play Devices
    BOClean Kernel Monitor​

Since Comodo BOClean was uninstalled about two years ago, that looks out of place.

Also these, maybe from Online Armor, also uninstalled years ago.
    • OADriver
    • OAmon
    • OAnet

What is the proper procedure to remove those?

Is there an easy way to identify old unneeded devices?

It's a long list and googling all of that would be pretty tedious.

THANKS!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Proper procedure would be to track down and run the removal tools from the makers.

Alternative methods are likely to be more risky, maybe triggering a BSOD and risking data loss.

You should see Disable and/or Uninstall from the right-click menu on those drivers, you could try those but in my experience, they're the most likely methods to trigger a crash as they're loaded in Windows.

A ?better? option is to track down their locations, boot into Safe Mode and rename them, just add *.sys.OLD.

Either of the above methods could lead to an inability to boot or errors on logging into Windows. Best have a working clone or a good Restore point handy!

I have a feeling the OA drivers may also be used by a similar product from another company too, not sure.

3. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Can't help with the other three, and don't know if this will be of any use, but on this computer, according to Autoruns, the BOClean Kernel Monitor location should be:

BOCDRIVE File not found: C:\Program Files\Comodo\CBOClean\BOCDRIVE.sys

and is shown as an unchecked/disabled Autorun Entry under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. Which explains the properties window I suppose.

Attached Files:

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Would this nifty free software help you identify better? http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html (DevManView v1.26 - Alternative to device manager of Windows)
    I remember using it with XP successfully. Read the article and the downloads are almost at the bottom of the page.

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thank you all very much for your replies and help.
    I'll get back when I've looked into this further.
    Looking forward to your comments and insight.

THANKS!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds