How to increase my internet Speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by walikhan, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walikhan

walikhan Private E-2

Assalam o alaikum:
    I have connected internet in my home and we have connect with hub and i have get a DSL cable from hub and my Internet speed is so low how i increase it?
    Plz anyone solve my this problem.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Go to www.speakeasy.net and report the results.
    Many times slow connection is the fault of your browser. What are you using?

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, go to speedtest.net and save the info onto harddisk when you have nothing running like a download or upload to send to your ISP. I'll assume you're in the mid-east so make sure to find the closest server to you. Then compare that to what your ISP claims to be the speed that you are paying for.

If you have a bad phoneline, like if you hear static when talking to someone, that will severely reduce your speed as there will be many errors to correct thereby reducing your net speed. If that's the case then you'll have to get after the telephone company, if it's different from your ISP. Good luck.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. walikhan

walikhan Private E-2

I using DSL connection from my Uncle
    I have get a DSL Cable from my Uncle

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You are going to have to give us more information than you have already, we did note from your 1st post you have DSL, but what speed if service us your uncle paying for?

What Windiws or operating system are you using?
    What security software di you have installed?

Did you do the speedtest that was suggested? if so then what wad the resulting speed compaired to what your uncle is paying for from his ISP, have you checked the line quality as Augie points out?

Did you try the information that Jack posted above?

As its DSL then make sure all the landline phones in the house hace DSL filters on them and if possible disconnect all phones and only have the router/modem plugged in to test the speed as a phone without filter or a damaged filter can cause issues.

To help you, you need to help us and I likely get english is not your first language but dont worry, just post as much info as you can on the above.

7. walikhan

walikhan Private E-2

I m using Windows XP service pack 2
    I havn't install any security software
    and i havn't the speed test but what is the benifit of speed test it will just test my speed, not increase
    Did you try the information that Jack posted above?
    Not i havn't try
    Plzzzz solve my this problem

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The speed test and knowing what speed service your uncle is paying for will help determine if their us an issue with your paid for speed vs your actual speed,as say for instance yoy have 1Mbit paid for speed from the ISP then their is NO magical fix to give you 8Mbit speed, all you can do us to try and make sure you get near to paid for speed (never will get exact, but close)

Can you access the routers menus (what make and model is it also) and look for some data maybe cslled attenuation and in db for upload and download, i'm being vague as i dont know what router and model you have as there are many, but that figure us signal to noise and a high figure say 56db will mean you are fsr from the exchange and best speed you are likely to see is 2-3Mbit

Are you using a phone extention cable from socket to router or is router near the socket and you connect router to pc via ethernet cable or wifi?

9. walikhan

walikhan Private E-2

i have connect from router to pc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds