How to install WindowsXP on a used hard drive.

Discussion in 'Software' started by randwill, Jun 11, 2012.

1. randwill

randwill Private E-2

I am trying to accomplish a fresh install of WindowsXP on a previously used hard drive. This is a Western Digital PATA / IDE drive.

I am stuck in a loop where I boot from the WindowsXP installation disc. I choose to set up Windows. Agree to license. List of existing partitions - just one. I choose it. Wait an hour or so while "Setup formats the partition". Next comes "Setup is copying files..." Next, computer reboots. I have to press any key to boot from CD. Welcome to Setup. I choose to setup WindowsXP now. Press Enter. License agreement. List shows existing partitions - just one. I choose it and wait an hour or so while "Setup formats the partition". Rinse and repeat, whole day wasted.

What's the trick to installing WindowsXP on this hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Dont hit the key to boot from cd, let it boot off the installation on your hard drive.

3. randwill

randwill Private E-2

Thanks that worked.

Unfortunately, after getting to the point of filling in the serial number and choosing the time zone, ect, I came back into the room and it was doing the thing where it shows the WindowsXP splash screen then goes to the black "Sorry for the inconvenience..." screen with the choices at the bottom to Start Windows normally, or in Safe MOde, or Last working configuration, ect. None of which would work because the operating system wasn't fully installed.

This was the behavior that I was experiencing that prompted me to want to make a back-up installation on a separate HD to begin with.

So I put the original HD back in and it started, but ran through the thing where it wants to check the integrity of C Drive, which it did and then started normally. So I have no idea what the F is going on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds