how to limit access in user account for a child

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi
    I have set up another PC for my wife to use for her scrapbooking. We also have a game installed here for our daughter who has special needs (5yrs old). It is one of these memory/mahjong games.
    I want to set up a separate User Acct for daughter, where she can only access this one game and nothing else, because she has a habit of clicking icons and getting the PC in a bit of a mess.
    Already set up an account for her that she has to use a password and limited access, but that is as far as I can get.
    Can anyone help? The PC is not set up for internet access. Windows XP SP3 Home Edition desktop.

Many thanks

G

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hi,

What operating system are you using?

3. RoyalGeek1

RoyalGeek1 Private E-2

This may not solve all of it, but it will be a start.....

First, log in with account that has admin rights. Click start, my computer, double click c: drive, then Documents and Settings, All users, start menu. Copy all of these folders and files into the start menu for your wifes folder, and yours then delete them from all users. Then go into your daughters start menu folder and delete everything except the games you want her to access. Then close this window, and log off. Log in as your daughter and right click on start, click properties, customize, and the advanced tab, and click "don't show this item" for everything you don't want displayed in the menu for her. On the General tab uncheck the internet and email options. This should limit her to just the games.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Another thing you could do (this may be time consuming) is you can deny access to anything by right-clicking on it and choosing "properties". Then click on the "security" tab and change the permissions so that your daughter's account has a "deny" permission.

Make sure you do not do this for critical system elements though.

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

I've got to say, i think Royalgeeks post is the way to go :)

However just to throw another idea in the pot...

If you set a guest account with minimum privilages/maximum restriction, the system is basically reset when you reboot.

6. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks for the suggestions; I will get back with the results asap :)

G

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds