How to link laptop to Access Point

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonce777, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

I cannot link my laptop to the Access Point box in our house. Is there some software I need to download? Please advise...

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Does you laptop have a wifi adapter?

If so, does your router have any security enabled?

What OS are you running?

What is make and model of access point?

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

And do you have anything else attached to the access point? Wired? Wireless?

Do you see the name of the Access Point from the laptop?

4. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

Thanks for your replies. I do have a wireless adapter & I don't see a router (this is not my house). As for security there does not appear to be any. I'm running MS Windows 7 and I'm not sure the model of the Access Point, just that it's a 'wireless G'. There is a 'house' computer running on it which appears to be using a Netgear software, WG111v2, and yes I can see the name of the the AP on my computer it just won't connect to it. It tries but nothing...

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

They may have MAC filtering enabled. If so, you will need to get your wifi MAC address added to Access Point.

6. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

How do I get my MAC address added ? Are we sure it's not just some software? I have little or no access to the computer that is currently hooked up or to the AP itself.

7. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

The router could have a DHCP range that is too small or not have DHCP at all. There could be security on it and it stopped asking for the password, I've had that happen on win 7 when I entered the wrong password.

You see the name of the wireless in a wireless list or on your wireless icon in the taskbar? If it's in the list, if you select it your computer doesn't try to connect? Did it ever ask for a password?

If it shows in the taskbar, does it say limited connection?

The other computer has a USB wireless device called Netgear WG111v2. It does come with connection software but it isn't necessary.

Which version of Windows 7 do you have? Not ultimate, is it?

8. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

I have Win 7 Home Premium. I find the connection when I click on the 'status bar' in the lower right hand corner of my screen, in the tray area and on the list. I click on the 'connect' and it tries but nothing. It doesn't have the lock icon and doesn't ask for a password nor does it say anything about limited connection. It will even SAY 'connected', but the little asterick is over the status bar so it's not connected.

9. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

That sure sound like MAC filtering. You can see it, no lock is displayed but you can't connect. If that is the case, the owner of the Router would have to add you to it.

As Handygal said, it could be to small a DHCP range available but that will usually generate an error when you try to connect telling you it's unable to get an address from the DHCP server. MAC filtering will simply ignore any attempts to connect.

10. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

K, thanks... I'm screwd then

11. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Why's that?? It's not that difficult to add the MAC address but you need to know the password to the router.

12. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

It's just that I stay in a 'group home' and the Access Point and router hardware is the house's property. They think I'm commiting some sort of network treason by asking them any information about their system. They would just as soon keep me and other roomies off... thanks though

13. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

I have the IP address for the Access Point, 192.168.1.245, does that help my situation at all ???

14. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

It could, depending on why you can't connect. You can try this

go into the properties for the wireless connection on your computer. enter in a static IP and DNS. I would try something like this

IPv4 192.168.1.176
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.245
    DNS server 4.2.2.2

It's a big IF whether it will work or not. If you are connected to the access point but can't browse, go to the command prompt and try these commands

ping 4.2.2.2 - should get 4 replies. Helps tell if you are connected through to the net

If you get replies from that ping you can try
    ping google.com - helps tell if the DNS server is working for you.

You trying to get through to do your homework and research the bible, right? ;)

15. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

Yeah...homework & bible :eek: . I'll try your suggestions when I get home and let you know. Thanks

16. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I would take the free laptop and the free router and run! Unless you are streaming a lot of doing a lot of downloading or file sharing or are working far away from the router, I wouldn't buy Wireless n receivers to split 1.5Mbps up 3 ways. I you are maxing out the 1.5 all day then maybe, but it probably isn't work the money, the time or the effort to install and configure them.

Out of curiosity, i might disconnect all the computers and run the one wireless N alone just to see if it excites me. I predict that you won't see much difference.

My disclaimer: I just retired my W2K workstation this summer and currently am using XP exclusively! :) My advise is probably colored by my tendency to only change what is proven to benefit (or is broken) rather than to upgrade regularly.

17. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

:-o

I posted this in the wrong thread! Sorry about that.

Let me know how it goes. It's a bit of a last ditch effort.

18. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

Yeah, OK... that last post did confuse me :) Too many dupes like me and 'so little time', kidding.

OK, how do I 'go into the properties for the wireless connection on your computer. enter in a static IP and DNS.'

I don't want to screw up my internet settings, so please spell it out :0

19. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

Does this help. The connection info is NAME - Linksys 2 / SSID Linksys / NETWORK TYPE Access Point / NETWORK AVAIL> / all users

The encryption info is, type is WEP. It shows Security Type as 'no authentification (open)':confused but it also shows a network security key ?

20. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

What the . . ?

Do you see another network, something with a weak signal? Something named Linksys 1 or just linksys maybe? It's an access point showing open and WEP at the same times, it sounds like they are using this as a repeater. They maybe extended the range with this device and it would just bounce the signal back to the main router. Are you in a building large enough for them to need to repeat the signal? You might not be able to work around this without getting the password afterall.

21. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

OK. . . Duh! Wrong 'linksys' network I was looking at. The same info above applies except encryption is 'none' and it says to 'manually connect'. I don't know how to manually connect. So are the challenges of the computer illiterate...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds