How to Lock my Computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TinkBelle, Aug 16, 2013.

1. TinkBelle

TinkBelle Private E-2

Hi, I've never had to lock my computer so that anyone couldn't use it, but now I'm having people I don't know stay over...how do I do it?

Thanks,
    Tink

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Set up a password for your account and all others in both normal and safe mode.

3. TinkBelle

TinkBelle Private E-2

Hey Tim!

Thanks, how do I set up a password? Right now I just start my computer and it goes straight on (we have the computer divided between me and my kid so it gives us a choice and we click the button for which one we want)?

Tink

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Excuse me for jumping in but to set up a password you just go to User Accounts and follow the directions.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Windows Key & L key is the Windows Lock shortcut. Personally if you do not want them using it, do not leave it out in the open, or make it available to them, to use your account. If it is a laptop, keep it in your room. If it is a desktop, you can get locks that go into the front of the unit, that use a key to lock it down, and also use security screws to secure the case.

Really if you are that non-trusting of others in the residence, set some ground rules that they need to follow, especially if it is your domicile, not say your parents or another relative. Those parties can do the same.

As my parents always told me and my siblings, "It is our rules or the highway."

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I would think that would have been the very first thing, since you can no longer skip that step, when setting up Windows 7 or Windows 8. You can go back in and delete the password though, through User accounts.

I am the only one that uses my Laptop, same as my son is the only one that uses his. We both have passwords for our accounts. Also because it adds a layer of security if someone tries to access the shares on either one, for the Public shares, which we require passwords to access.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds