How to make port 23 Telnet stealth?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Insomniac, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Windows XP Pro on a very simple single PC installation with a USB ADSL modem (D Link DSL-302G).

Several security sites say port 23 is closed and should be stealth.

I have Telnet stopped and disabled in Services.

I have tried ZoneAlarm and Outpost, and can't get it to say stealth.

ZoneAlarm doesn't have a setting to cloak the port as far as I'm aware, and neither does my modem?

Am I missing something?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I stealthed my port 113 by directing it to a dummy internal IP address. I picked it up on Steve Gibson's site.

Attached Files:

• scr.JPG
      scr.JPG
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Insomniac

Thanks for the reply. :)

Although I'm familar with Gibson Research, I have no idea how to, and have never done this before.

What's the URL or info please?

4. Insomniac

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I've tried both ZA Pro and Free and get Telnet stealthed on all tests particually http://grc.com/port_23.htm

In ZA in Firewall settings are the two option sliders ( Trusted and Internet Zone ) both set to Stealth?

tried XP Pro and Home, the only different thing maybe my DSL router is blocking port 23 by default.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

http://grc.com/default.htm

I don't see it up there anymore, but I forwarded port 113 to a nonexistent IP address. That way I fixed the only port I had unstealthed in my NAT firewall. I don't see why it wouldn't work for any other port. ZoneAlarm blocked it, though.

7. Insomniac

@Halo, yes the sliders are both set to Stealth.

The sites that told me that it wasn't were Gibsons and PCFlank.

I think it has something to do with my modem, as when I was on dial-up ZoneAlarm stealthed the port in an identical setup.

Unfortunately, there are no advanced settings in the modem that I can use.

Thanks for the replies to both of you, I appreciate it.

Guess I have to live with it for the time being.....

EDIT: I even added an expert rule and blocked the port, but it's still closed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds