How to move data to partition?

Discussion in 'Software' started by oli, May 16, 2006.

1. oli

oli Corporal

Can someone direct me to instructions on how to move data to a partition? I have WinXp sp2, and I have a bunch of programs that I don't have CDs to, that I don't want to lose when I reinstall WinXp.
    Thanks

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Have you got a burner? Simply copy/move the programs to a disc. You want the install/setup software not the loaded program.

If no burner try making a partition & moving the install/setup software using Partition Magic. You could lose everthing so be careful It ain't cheap though. Better off buying a burner if you need to.

3. IanTheGeek

IanTheGeek Private First Class

Agree'd: your best off purchasing a burner for 30 USD and a 50 pack of cd-r's and backing up everything onto disc. I have some experience with Partition Magic Pro, although it is a very good program, it is not perfect by any means. Oh, and one other thing: it is possible to reinstall windows without removing your partition, when you are going thru the install, just make sure that you don't press "D" when the partioned drive is highlighted, and make sure that you install over the original copy of windows (this can sometimes be glitchy though, so best of to do a full drive format, and burn to discs)

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

5. oli

oli Corporal

I don't profess to know much about computers, but I remember somewhere at this or someother site, that you cannot just copy a program. There are lots of parts of a program that don't get copied. I am not totally clear, but I will do some research for that particular topic. Here it is "And no there is no way to save installed programs on your computer unless you transfer every file and every bit of registry on that app"

6. oli

oli Corporal

Yes, I have a CD writer.

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Oli, just checked back and oticed you later said you wanted to reinstall windows .... which will wipe your registry ... the program I suggested will move programs to different drives / different paritions making changes in the registry to accomplish that, so yes, they will (for the ost part), not work if you wipe the registry .... unless someone has a suggestion on how to copy and reinstall the original registry (kind of croww purposes if you are having problems and want a reinstalled os.)

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

If you re read what I wrote you will see I said to save the install/setup software not the loaded program. In other words if you have, say, Nero installed on your computer then you would have used the Nero installer to load it on. That's what you need to save. The install/setup program.

So if you have a burner & you want to reload windows then simply save the install/setup files to a disc ready to install/setup up on the new system.

9. oli

oli Corporal

Thanks

10. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Hope you got it all sorted. :) Gets a bit confusing at times, well most of the time. :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds