How To Password Protect A Cd-rom ??

Discussion in 'Software' started by dip14, Jan 14, 2005.

1. dip14

dip14 Private E-2

OK......i searched the forum but i cant get........

so.......

How can i password prtect my CD's when i creat them through CD writer ?

Surely it can be done......as Game CD's require Key to let us use them...........more over i had a CD that asks for passwor in a InputBox after
    inserting it to CD-ROM Drive....

Thanx. :)

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I do not want to give any links since most seemed to be crack/hack related but go ahead and open www.google.com and type copykiller that utility seems to be for that purpose....

3. dip14

dip14 Private E-2

Thanx. i will try.

But let me clear........i am not making a Hi-Fi software......and i know there is no such CD-ROM protect password that can not not be cracked......!!!

I just want to place a folder in a CD-ROM , and just want a como box asking for "Password" if any body tries to open it , Nither i bother whether it can be copied or not....just dont let others to open the CD.

It dose not matter whether it can be cracked or not.....just the primary level
    protection will do for me.

Thanx again.

4. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I suggest putting the files you want to protect in a password protected zip file and then burn that zip file onto a CD. I am not aware of a simple way to password protect the CD itself.

5. dip14

dip14 Private E-2

Thanx a lot......thats an idea i dont know. :)
    Do i need any special software for give a password to that zip file......????

BTW.........what is the general method everyone follow????

6. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Password protecting files or folders is also an option but besides the fact that zip passwords are far too easy to crack most zip utilities would still display the contents (meaning the contents would be visible without even entering a password) if the compression/decompression utility is integrated to windows explorer.

What I would suggest is using an encryption utility, there are many free utilities available for that purpose. Here is such a utility from MG's download site, it is also free! ;) Another one you could search for on google was a multi-purpose utility that had a cool encryption/decryption feature, the name of that program is called FileOps.

7. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Not true, as long as you use a password that's minimum 10 characters in length (preferably a combo of letters, numbers & other ascii characters to avoid brute force attacks), and isn't an actual word (to avoid 'dictionary' attacks). This is true of any password protected file, not just zips.

But as you said, encryption utilities can be found for free & work well for this purpose. If the file is large, it can take a long time to encrypt & decrypt though, whereas the zip password takes no extra time.

8. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I beg to differ...took little over 10 minutes to find an 8-digit password using a ZIP password recovery tool, of course more the digits longer it would take but since even AES became a joke now and since the person doesn't really care the protection to be THAT secure then yes, zipping with a password is probably easier.
    But the point I was trying to make which might not have worked for him was the fact that even with uncrackable zip password, people could still 'peek' in the contents of the zip file, but if that is ok with him as long as they couldn't open it then..... ;)

9. steve6

steve6 Private E-2

this works great: http://www.cd-lock.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds