How to pause AVG Free 8? and why scans longer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrammawNewbie, Jul 7, 2008.

1. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

I did a Search for "AVG + Pause" in this forum and haven't found my problem yet.

I have a Dell INspiron 8600 laptop running Win XP (with IE6, not 7), free Zone Alarm firewall and AVG Free anti-virus all the time. Sometimes I use other anti-malware apps such as ccleaner, Spybot Search/Destroy, etc.

On the former version of AVG Free, one could pause the scan if one wanted to hop on the internet or do something else. I can't find a way to do that with the new AVG 8. I keep my monitor at 1280 x 786 because it's easier on my eyes; could it be that I simply can't *see* a pause button?

Also, the scans used to take about 25 minutes and now it's often three times that long. Makes me wonder if I did something wrong when I installed it.

Thanks to any who can try to unravel the problem or explain in dummy terms why I am so confused over something so simple.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

To pause a scan http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1422#faq_1422 and also iirc as I dont run AVG, the main scan window of AVG, click Computer Scanner\Scan Whole Computer and at bottom should be Pause button, but the System Tray icon right click context menu maybe the easier one.

As to why it scans longer, possible with the extra components and deeper scanning of all files that it takes longer, also as its fairly new they need to tweak it a little to speed it up.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The new AVG is two things in one. It is now an antivirus and a spyware detector so it has to do twice as much work. The database will be bigger and then it looks for more things.

4. GrammawNewbie

Thanks - Re: How to pause AVG Free 8? and why scans longer?

*Thank you* to both for replies. I guess it didn't register in my pea-brain that it was now anti-spyware. Hmmm. That's nice. I am still trying to figure out which anti-malware things I need to do regularly. Like, Ccleaner once a week, and Spybot S&D, but there were some tools listed in the "read & run me 1st" guide -- which totally saved me from having to drag the laptop into the shop and bother a pro!! -- which, it seems, would be useful to run once in a while.

Also, I was too dumb to think of right-clicking the icon. How **obvious**! I still can't see the Pause button, no matter how I try to stretch the window, although I can tell there are three buttons at the bottom. Maybe I'll take a look at Grisoft website and look for a screen shot of the scan screen.

Again, many thanks. I appreciate this site soooo much (the people on the site).

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi GrannyN

I gave in and installed it on a virtual PC so check it out and grab some screenshots for you.

This is the pause button in main screen when the scan has started so you can pause
    [​IMG]

So if you click middle one that even if you cannot read text should pause and re-start the scan.

and this is the one by the clock in the system tray, when you right click the AVG icon
    [​IMG]

Likewise with this one.

6. GrammawNewbie

Thanks again! After your previous post, I did right-click and paused it when I needed s/t. But the screen shot is *most* welcome!

You are the king! {imaginary smiley bowing in we-are-not-worthy fashion, which I don't know how to cut and paste here}

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds