How to perform an external data backup?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Celeste.N, May 23, 2009.

1. Celeste.N

Celeste.N Private E-2

I am planning on restoring my computer to factory settings due to virus and spyware infections. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a simple backup system like this one I found. I need to backup all of my data: do####ents, pictures, music, videos, etc. and to then restore the data back to the newly reformatted system. Any suggestions?

“Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.” -Mitchell Kapor

2. Celeste.N

Celeste.N Private E-2

Thanks for your reply, I don't know about online data backups. Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of using online data backup?

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Pretty simple.
    Pro is the data will be accessible from anywhere with an internet connection, and it is off site. So if your site(house) were to have some kind of disaster, youd have your backups.
    Con is that youre not fully in control of your data.

Keep them on an external drive or something as well as online if you want to. I backup servers using the built in NTBackup tool on Windows, backed up to 2 external USB hard drives. I have backups for my backups.
    All youd have to do is copy over anything you want to an external hard drive and store it somewhere safe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds