How to properly back up before installing a Vista Service Pack?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Outlawstar15a2, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

How do you properly back up for a Vista SP installation? The last time I braved SP1 I made a system restore before I installed via Windows Update. But when SP1 was finished installing and booted to desktop after I logged in. It had erased all my System Restores. The only thing that saved me was that I was able to remove it via Programs and Features and my heart was pounding the whole time because the time before that when I went to uninstall SP1 I ended up reinstalling Vista as all methods failed to remove the SP. So whats the proper way to back up Vista when installing a SP? I assume I'm gonna have to locate, copy/paste and rename one or more files...

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Just buy Acronis True Image Home and make a complete system backup. Or use one of the free ones on MG.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Absolutely. The latest version of Acronis, just released, is a cracker.

4. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

---------------

5. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

What does a line of ------------- mean or .............?

6. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

I had something I wanted to say but I couldn't remember it because I got called away to handle something around the house so rather then have a partial, incomplete post I just lined it out because I couldn't delete the post itself.

7. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

Whats a good freeware back up utility that only backs up system files? Acronis seems nice but I don't have money to buy the full version. I just want to back up the system files needed to run Vista once I do that I think I'll get SP1 and immediately get SP2. Because the games I am torrenting now are requiring SPx to be installed before the program will install or run....

8. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

I think Western Digital and Seagate have a "branded version" of Acronis on their website. All you need is their brand of HD to use it. Same features as an older Acronis, and one of them actually uses the Brand Name I think in the verbage..

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not as powerful as Acronis but Macrium Reflect does similar job of Imaging the whole HDD for backup and is FREE

10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds