How to Recover 5GB Disk Space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axelbrora, Sep 7, 2008.

1. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

I have recently carried out a clean intall of Vista after some problems with XP.

I now have a partition on my hard disk with 5GB of unallocated disk space.

Looking at Computer Management/Storage from left to right, which I think important, I have:

Black Header - Unallocated disk space 5.4GB.
    Dark Blue Header - Windows(C:)97.51GB NTFS Healthy (sytem boot etc.)
    Light Blue Header, Dark Green Band (extended partition): (D:)89.01GB NFTS Healthy (logical drive)

How do I recover the lost space and add it to one of the partitions. The "extend partition" option is greyed out on both the C: & D: partitions. I have Partition Magic, but from reading other posts it can cause poblems in Vista and should not be used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Axel

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the computer came with XP installed, I suspect that the 5GB is the restore/recovery portion of the hard drive to get the computer back to factory condition.
    If it were my computer, I'd forget about reclaiming the 5GB of space and let it alone. If you need more space, use an external hd or a USB stick for additional storage.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds