How to remove corrupt program files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Copasta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Copasta

Copasta Private First Class

Hello everyone,
    I guess this is the right place to post this. I am trying to remove an annoying program file that doesn't even work, but pops up everytime I boot my computer.
    I am currently running Windows Vista Ultimate, and everytime I log onto my computer, I get a message about a program that isn't working correctly and has closed. The program in question is called ReadReg.MFC application, and is apparently associated with my old Creative Live soundcard which I don't use anymore (come to think of it, the card is still installed.....could removing that help?). I tried to uninstall from windows, but it keeps popping up. Any suggestions?
    Also, in the same tone, when I log on, I get the annoying Vista pop up about my Logitech Update, which is for my wireless keyboard and mouse combo. Is there anyway to set this so that it automatically works, rather than having to click continue EVERY SINGLE TIME? Thanks for any input!

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Right click on the Folder name and DELETE (as a last resort). ;) Bazza

===

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would remove the card, if you don't use it.
    The update- when I connect my scanner, and Vista wants to find a driver, I get three options ---- Choose don't ask again for this device, out of the three options.

4. Copasta

Copasta Private First Class

I don't even get the three options on mine....it's simply, continue or exit. It drives me crazy because it stops everything else and it slows down the start up time!

I didn't get a chance yet to remove the card, but might get a chance tonight. I searched for the folder with the ReadReg file and found nothing.....however, it still comes up at startup as "file stopped working and was closed"......just another thing slowing down the startup that is already WAY TOO slow!

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have had a look through troubleshooting in Vista, and have not tried this as yet, but worth a try.
    Stop reporting problems for a program

If you don't want to send information about problems with a specific program to Microsoft, you can stop Windows from reporting problems for that program.

Click to open Problem Reports and Solutions.

In the left pane, click Change settings.

Click Advanced Settings.

In the Block list, under Don't send information about the following programs, click Add, and then find and select the programs for which you want to stop reporting problems.

Click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Warning
    If you choose to stop reporting problems for a program, Windows will not notify you about solutions, even if they are available.

See also
    Choose the information to send when a problem occurs
    Windows Problem Reporting privacy statement online

I just ran through it for my old webcam, and told it not to look- so, it should work.
    I found it by typing in "stop driver update prompt" in the Help and Support .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds